Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Quilting again...... >

Quilting again......

Quilting again......

Old 02-10-2007, 10:11 AM

Hello from northern Alabama, I've begun to really want to quilt again. We moved to the county, after living just south of Birmingham for 27yrs. Ahhh, to breath county air once again, wonderful. Bounty county is beautiful. Living across from Pine Mt. is God given. About the washing fabric, i use to dye TY beanie bears for myself and others. I learned to use salt and rinse in vinegar. I now wash all our clothes in cold water and use vinegar in the rinse. It removes all the soap stuff. Also great for the hair, only use apple cider vingar. I've rinsed much fabric and ready to press. Going to make our daughter, her finacee and my sister a quilt for Christmas. Also have email all my email friends to get their input on ....ready....... on an "email friendship" quilt.... So far I've gotten reply from 3...they like the idea. This also inclueds family. I will put their name and email address on their block and if anyone of them wants a block from me i'll make'em one. If they don't sew they can frame it. I thought it was a cooool idea. One i haven't heard of. Glad to find this message board. Sometimes i need different inputs to a question or to find a pattern. I am looking for a full size pattern for a Arabic Lattice. This one has a 4-patch in the middle. I've done a search and haven't found one i can print. Nice to meet you all. will be around.... lizbeth44
Old 02-11-2007, 06:40 AM

Lizabeth

Welcome, and you will have alot of fun here. I live in GEORGIA, not to far from the Ala line, in Aragon, Ga. You will have alot of fun here and find alot of friendly helpful people. Eager to help and share.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:52 PM

Thanks Becky, I love looking at quilt books and mags. Esp. the vintage ones. I found a site where i bought and downloaded many very old patterns. I picked some out and printed 'em. I've begun to turn the Sun room into a sewing room. Still have much to do. When we moved 3 1/2 yrs. ago, we down sized and still working on it. Need some plants??? (o; I've given many away and still need to. I'll look on the map and see where you are located. Good to meet U. Just beganning on our daughter's quilt. Hope she likes it.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:08 PM

Hello Lisbeth,
Sounds like you've been a professional quilter. I'm still a novice but I do love quilting.

I like your idea on the email quilt. That's an interesting idea, for later in the year, I'm so bogged down with projects I don't much have time to eat this year! hahaha

Glad you joined us, I'm a newbie here myself, but sure have been enjoying my visiting with some of the gals and the tips.....oooolala!

Sharon in North Carolina
Old 02-11-2007, 02:38 PM

Hello Sharon, No pro. here, hon. Just love to look and dream. Dream is coming into the Sun Room now... (o;} Getting older has some advantages that i like and some not so great but God's been good to us and we are getting settled in. I've readed alot and watched quilting programs. I bought a couble of packs of sheets protectors to put the patterns i printed out and pictures of quilts i like. I have fabric in a chester drawer that's got to come out. Just thought of a couble of shelfs yesterday that i can clean off and put fabric where i can see what i've got. I haven't learn to stack 'n whack, but fixing to. Going to save tissue boxes to put squares in. There is a book that i got the other day (from Amazon) that has many great tips in it....."it's a Stitch" Edited by Karen Bolesta. I also want to lap quilt. Georgia Bonesteel has a couble of books on that. I'm so hyped i can't move quick enough to get started as quickly as i want. (o:} Or as hyped as an almost 63yr. can be....lol.... I also love to feed the birds. There are many finches feeding now, along w/others. They are empting the feeders quickly. Thanks for posting, liz later,
Old 02-11-2007, 02:49 PM

Lizabeth,
I like vintage as well, Could you share that web address?If not thats ok, Theres a great string on this web for organazation of a (your sewing room.)
Old 02-11-2007, 04:05 PM

Lisbeth,
So good to meet another bird feeder! I feed my birds, squirrels, the wood peckers, the hummingbirds. I live in the woods, too, but am close to the beaches of NC. I grew up in a poor town of West Virginia, so I'm used to seeing the quilts of old. I just was always afraid of trying anything that beautiful and complicated. (to this child growing up it looked complicated, you see)

Now at 58 almost 59, I'm not afraid to try anything. I just reorganized my office/sewing room. I bought several of the clear drawer plastic rolling carts (so I can see at a glance the colors of fabric, etc.) I've covered shoe boxes with fabric scraps to keep the strips, the blocks, etc. in. I have several notebooks with projects and patterns. I just haven't the time to get everything I want to do, done. lol

Off to get my beauty sleep, I'm an early riser so go to bed earlier sometimes. I am envious of your sun room. Sounds like just the kind of place I'd like instead of this little box room with one window.

See ya,
Sharon
Old 02-11-2007, 04:11 PM

Sharon, I have the doc. ready to send to you with the patterns on it. In case it doesn't go through as it should here is the site antiquarian-eBooks.com It's 9.95 for the download and worth every penny. Oh, send me you email addy. liz
Old 02-11-2007, 04:12 PM

Sorry i shoulda posted to Becky....., I have the doc. ready to send to you with the patterns on it. In case it doesn't go through as it should here is the site antiquarian-eBooks.com It's 9.95 for the download and worth every penny. Oh, send me you email addy. liz
Old 02-11-2007, 04:26 PM

Hey Sharon, We lived in N.C. for almost a year in '63. It was so clean and beautiful, i loved it. We lived in Alburmar (incorrect spelling) and a few miles above. Sam was in construction. You might want the eBook for the antiquarian patterns too. Won't be long belong before the hummers will be here. I usually have to put out 5 feeders. The couble that lived here before us had 99 hummer feeders out. They worked with southeastern society and was on APTV. I have a tip on the feeders. To keep allll pest off the hummer feeders smear coconut oil over the top, the top of the base. I learned this 2 summers ago. No ants, bees or anyother pest. Easy to wash off. Doesn't get sticky. There is no downside to coconut oil. I found it at Wal-Mart along side the other oils...It's LouAnna. It stays solid until about 68 deg. Okey, enough for today. Going to look at patterns again. Making blocks tomorrow...yeay.... liz