Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
want to learn to quilt >

want to learn to quilt

want to learn to quilt

Old 06-05-2010, 03:53 PM

Where do I start? I sew. I have made a quilt, and baby quilt. But I just figured it out by myself. I want to do it right.
I'm creative.
quilterwanabe7 :)
Old 06-05-2010, 04:07 PM

Honey, if you've already made a quilt and a baby quilt, and figured it out by yourself, I'm calling you a quilter, not a "wannabe"!!
Do a search here for different things that you want to learn about, you'll find tons of information! You might want to pick up a beginner's book...or google the things that you want to learn...I think there's a YouTube vid for nearly every aspect of quilting!
There are also ladies (and gents?) here that will mentor for you and help you along! (I'd offer, but I'm not nearly confident enough yet to do that!)

Welcome to the board!! :)
Old 06-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

Welcome!
Old 06-05-2010, 04:17 PM

Thank you! My Mom was a quilter. I never paid attention, except for the result.
I appreciate your thoughts on continuing to learn a step at a time.
Ok then Guess I'll pick a pattern for easy and learn as I go. Maybe do some blocks for hotpads and pillows for gifts first, and then a quilt for my bed. My Glory!!! As I usually give away the things I make.
Like my first quilt to a friend that turned 50. If I can find the picture I'll put it on. It had black westy dogs on it cuz she loves them.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:20 PM

I agree- sounds to me like you are already a quilter! Welcome! You will find a lot of answers here and lots of friendly people.

Some things that I do that save money and/or inspire me:
check out quilt books at the library- if I really love them I will buy them
surf the net for ideas (try Flickr)
draw my quilts on graph paper and then color them with colored pencils
make sure I don't use really poor fabric- learned that one the hard way- it doesn't have to be expensive, but don't get the poor quality stuff because it will shred

DON'T WORRY ABOUT RULES! They are made for breaking!

:0)
Old 06-05-2010, 04:22 PM

thanx so much. I'll do that. I love the library as I read constantly.
bless you
from MN.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:27 PM

Hi, just found this board, and signed up!! I was a lone quilter for 7 years, reading books and magazines to accomplish more than 30 quilts. Last year I discovered guilds and now belong to 3 of them, plus a small Bee. My best advice is ALWAYS choose the design and layout first, THEN purchase fabric!! I learned that one the hard way!!
Trying to design a new quilt for the past few days.. does anyone have a suggestion for a fabric that has a definite striped effect to the design???? I love the fabric, but realize that cutting and layout will be limited, unless I find something that will look wonderful with a one way fabric. Help, please.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:59 PM

Welcome from Illinois. If you made two quilts you are pretty much on your way. Just remember to cut accurately, use 1/4" seams and press. Oh and do try to square up blocks as you go and make sure quilt is squared up or has straight sides. That's all there is to it. Everything you make will be beautiful.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:09 PM

Find a quilt group in your town or close to you and that will enhance what you can learn here. This is a great site and I think you'll really like it. My church started a class last year and we have no dues or set regimen, but it is working and we help each other, do things for charity, and for our church--crib sheets, aprons for the kitchen, a wall hanging for our prayer room, etc. In the community, we have supported a community shower for low income families, young mothers needing help, etc. by making baby quilts, bibs, etc. This shower idea was just started about 3 years ago, so our group has participated in the last 2. We have a great fellowship and some of us had never quilted before. We even had a young woman who had never even used a sewing machine. Before she moved out of town, she had made 2 quilts and started on a 3rd.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilterwanabe7
Where do I start? I sew. I have made a quilt, and baby quilt. But I just figured it out by myself. I want to do it right.
I'm creative.
quilterwanabe7 :)
Welcome to the board!! If you already made 2 quilts you aren't a wanabe :mrgreen:
Charlee mentioned Youtube- I love that sight! I used to think it was just for music- WRONG!!! You can find practically anything there. I learn a lot better watching something being done (although I have a zillion quilt books :D )
Along with the other great tips people posted you will learn a ton right here!! I go to Search a lot, type in what I want to know and there is always something good.
Have fun!!!!!!!!!! :D
HUGS, Sue