Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: YEEEE HAAAA from Good ol' South Dakota, The sunshine state.

Hi everyone. I'm a ranch gal/cowgirl/quilter from the good old South Dakota prairies. The sun IS shining today and the ice and snow is melting, and we have a bit of a run off problem. The draws and ditches and creeks and rivers are full. The cows are having their babies and the grass is starting to green up. I have been cutting out pieces to my BOM American Beauty by Marty Mitchell. I have done a few of these "BOM" and find it is kind of nice to get everything on a bag... (KIT). I have quilted and sewn since 196???? humm what year is this? Oh well I started when I was about 6 years old on the lap of my Great Grandma Barclay, but I have photos of me with my Great Great Grandma Howlett. 6 generations is a norm for my family. Most of the women in my family, live into their late 90's and the men are long livers also... LOL! I really like to use up scraps in quilts. That is what most of my quilts has been made out of. There is never any extra money on the ranch. And with prices like they are it seems it will remain the same as the past. the homesteaders like the grandmothers I had, used what ever they had on hand, and that was usually not a whole heck of a lot! I really enjoy visiting with distinguished ladies with a prairie past or family from the Dakota territory or the Nebraska country. I hate to spend money! My favorite thing to do in life is find ways to do the same thing my city slicker female friends do with their check books but that I can do with what I have on hand. Like using the yellow pages from an old phone book to make paper piecing patterns instead my spending money on “special” paper that will do the same thing, tear easy and run through the copy machine. I do it for free and others spend money they don't have to... I really like doing this, it is so fun to figure out how much money I have saved by being creative, thrifty and just plain old fashioned “TIGHT”! HA!!!! Let me know if you have any "TIGHT" ideas to share and maybe we can all save a tone on CASH!

Hello and happy quilting from South Dakota! :)
    Always in Stitches, Bren

attatched is a photo on the ranch with quilts on the clothes line airing out and my old storage building painted for a quilting cabin!

Quilts on the clothes line on our South Dakota cattle ranch
    Name:  Attachment-130291.jpe
Views: 628
Size:  4.07 MB

Blog Entries
    Hello, and welcome from Idaho!

Senior Member Claddaughquilting's Avatar
    Wecome Bren from Montreal, Canada! Love the look of your place, and your lifestyle....wishing I was living it (although I do try to save $$ when I can). Snow and ice are melting here too, thank goodness, bring on the spring!

Welcome from North Texas!

welcome!

Blog Entries
    Welcome from the middle of the mitten. Quilts are just beautiful. If you are having warmer weather than me. Please send it this way. Enjoy your stay here. We have the best here.

AMEN! Thank God for the Spring! Good to meet you! :)

Thanks I'm glad to be here. I was in Ft.Hood TX last week kinda cool there and rained a day but warmer than when I left home it was only 3 below zero that morning! Got to c my grand babies it was a good trip and TX was good to us!

Thanks! :)

Blog Entries
    a warm welcome from western Ky!~~~~~ love your little out building!!! so cute! we moved here from north westen part of ND

Welcome, Bren, from Northern California. You sound like a hoot!!! I like your idea of finding ways to save money. You will learn lots from this board, and we will learn from you too☺

Burrr that is colder country that here is SD

Power Poster
    Hi from Ohio, loved your storage building!

Hi Bren, welcome and waving from Arkansas. I absolutely LOVE your quilting barn. I'm always looking for ways to save $$ too. We have a few acres and raise a garden every year. I'm always open to new ways to save money and be more self sufficient. We're happy you decided to join us. This is the best place for anything quilting plus you make new friends.

Welcome from Michigan.

Welcome from Ireland

Hello, welcome and happy quilting from Germany!

Hi Lee Ann, Thanks for the warm welcome. My last year garden was about 300 acres... that was just the corn garden! HA! our ranch is very LARGE! Lots of grass, cows, horses, sometimes lots of grasshoppers. My veg. Garden was only potatoes, onions and tomatoes. I stopped raising chickens after my last bunch was killed off my a hungery sow raccoon with about 15 babies... BUT I LOVE LOVE LOVE your rooster profile photo.. very colorful and just georgious! thanks for posting the picture.

Andrea from Germnay. Where is Germany do you live? I was in Germany in Bamburg for a while last year. I love Germany! the Rose gardens and the flowers and the castles and the food and the ..... history it was a wonderful trip..... I miss it...

Hello from Nebraska!

Oh Hi Nebraska neighbor! How r u doing? Where in NE? I drove thru there last Thursday and the roads from Hayes KS to Valentine were REALLY BAD! slush, ice, wind slow travel getting home but we made it... :D

Senior Member twospoiledhuskies's Avatar
    Greetings from Colorado, your are a lucky girl!!! I've had horse and have team roped and worked cattle for a long time.

Don't get to do either any more and miss my horses alot.
    Now I have huskies who are wonderful and get to play and play.

This site is great sure hope you enjoy it :-D

Oh my word... I LOVE that quilt with the woman? on it hanging on the line. Was that a BOM? If so... what's the name of it?!!!!

Great idea to paint the storage shed with a churn dash (I think).

Welcome to the board... sounds like you could certainly teach me a thing or two!

I look forward to reading some of the er.... "tight" comments from other posters too! Great idea.

I just bought an old singer 15-91 machine that I can clean up, keep in order and do Free Motion quilting on. Heck... the thing cost me $20 + the cost of cleaning her up. Beats the stuffin out of buying a new (brand name) machine for $1,000's of dollars!

Great to have you 'along' for the ride... One of these days when I get to South Dakota, I'll come visit!

Quote Originally Posted by Always In Stitches
    Hi Lee Ann, Thanks for the warm welcome. My last year garden was about 300 acres... that was just the corn garden! HA! our ranch is very LARGE! Lots of grass, cows, horses, sometimes lots of grasshoppers. My veg. Garden was only potatoes, onions and tomatoes. I stopped raising chickens after my last bunch was killed off my a hungery sow raccoon with about 15 babies... BUT I LOVE LOVE LOVE your rooster profile photo.. very colorful and just georgious! thanks for posting the picture.
    Yup... that's quite a big spread. My DH and I are looking to buy about 100 acres in my home state to farm. We'll lease out at first and work along side to learn. It's been 30 years since I ever worked on a farm.... Funny, most people retire to 'easy' life. DH and I want to retire to something that keeps us active and gives us simple enjoyment, simple life and some darn good organic food on the table.

um and sorry to hear about your chickens.

Hi right back atcha Bren - from Illinois here but I LOVE the SD prairies!! Been there a few times, driving through to MT or OR. Hubby and I don't take the interstates when we travel - you can only see so many "Cracker Barrels" before youv'e had enough. Give me the country roads any day - I'll just follow the sun and head in the general direction and eventually find my way across country.

You mentioned Valentine NE ... my husbands favorite place. Of course he's only visited there in the summer, I keep reminding him they have a winter too and he wouldn't like it much :) He's from England and still hasn't adjusted to Illinois winters, he has no idea how much worse a Valentine winter can be. I lied and told him SD was better because that's where *I* want to live.

Adore your quilted shed!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast