Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
1/2 square triangles >

1/2 square triangles

1/2 square triangles

Old 03-18-2009, 06:37 AM

there was a post not long ago from someone having trouble sizing these. try this, it works for me.

look up "quilters grids for half square triangles"

you'll get a number of choices for drawn grids. you sew on the lines that you draw, then cut apart. cheap and can't miss.

one of the choices os penny halgren's The Quilting Coach.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:02 AM

Thanks! Wish I'd known about the quilt grids BEFORE I did 41 blocks with 12 half square triangles in each block! Thank goodness they're done and while I came close, I didn't go crazy but I don't think any of my points match either. But if anyone says anything negative about that -- I might get violent :roll: :roll: :-)
Old 03-18-2009, 11:30 AM

i had the same problem. i did a 'sister's choice' that was supposed to be a quilt. it is now a wall hanging. it has 16 hst in each block and they have to match at all the points in the block next door.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

thanks will check it out, Just cut out 600 and have a few more to go!
Old 03-25-2009, 03:34 PM

I just bought a roll of "Triangles on a roll" I have a pattern with a lot of flying geese to make The pattern recommended this stuff but I've never used it. I assume you just do the same thing. Sew on the lines and cut it out. That is my first plan.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Power Poster

Well I'll put my two cents in here: I don't like to buy anything to help me make HST(half square triangles)

When I am going to make a lot of hst of the same fabric I cut a strip of one color and a strip of another color and sew them together on one long side. Open and iron and then take a square template for what ever size you need and lay it on the seam so two opposite corners lay on the seam. Now cut out the square with a rotary cutter. You can cut out several out of each strip set and then pull it apart and sew the other sides together and do it again.

Because I do alot of scrappy I cut swatches and make a pile of say one dark pile and and one light pile then I start sewing light to dark until I have them all sewn. Open and iron then I go through and cut a square from each set of swatches.

We do hundreds of them this way.

Just my version!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-30698.jpe  
Old 03-25-2009, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Well I'll put my two cents in here: I don't like to buy anything to help me make HST(half square triangles)

When I am going to make a lot of hst of the same fabric I cut a strip of one color and a strip of another color and sew them together on one long side. Open and iron and then take a square template for what ever size you need and lay it on the seam so two opposite corners lay on the seam. Now cut out the square with a rotary cutter. You can cut out several out of each strip set and then pull it apart and sew the other sides together and do it again.

Because I do alot of scrappy I cut swatches and make a pile of say one dark pile and and one light pile then I start sewing light to dark until I have them all sewn. Open and iron then I go through and cut a square from each set of swatches.

Just my version!
That sounds easier!

Old 03-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
Originally Posted by Rhonda

Just my version!
That sounds easier!

A lot of people have a problem with my methods because there are scraps left over. I pull them apart and recycle them into the next batch.

Now we make 1 1/2" 1 1/4" and 1" HSTs so it is easy to use it all up

Most people think I am weird because I like to cut my swatches and my borders larger than needed so the leftovers are easier to reuse.

My friend Dorothy cuts her swatches just barely (by threads) bigger than she needs. She makes thousands of these for me! I have 55 organizers full of HSTs /Kansas Dugouts /Boston Blocks/ Drunkard's Path and lots more.

The benefits of reusing them back into the same project or HSTs is that
you don't have to spend time choosing colors - finding the fabic - cutting more swatches and so on.

The time saver also is sewing all of them then ironing all of them then cutting all of them etc. Do one step all the way through all of them then move on to the next step.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:25 PM

Thanks for the information. :lol:
Old 03-27-2009, 09:10 AM

I had never heard of this tiangle on a roll. The pattern makers recommended us to use it. It isn't expensive and Linda and I can both get more than we need out of it. She is sharing her steam-a-seam and I'm sharing the triangles. It seems to work out for us.

Thanks for the grid info. I'll have to go check it out.