Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
I found a great children's book today! >

I found a great children's book today!

I found a great children's book today!

Old 01-30-2014, 06:55 PM

Default I found a great children's book today!

While in my Lit 2 class (a class that's about teaching reading and writing to 4th-6th graders) today I found the most amazing children's book about quilting. It's called Quilting Now & Then by Karen Bates Willing and Julie Bates Dock. Here it is on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Quilting-Now-T.../dp/0964182017

It's a picture book, and one of the cool things is that the illustrations are mixed with actual images of quilts. All the quilters whose works are included are cited in the back. It goes through the start of quilting, with pioneers saving scraps from clothes and using old quilts as batting to the more modern uses of rotary cutters and stores with hundreds of prints of fabric to choose from.

Here's a couple of photos, so you can see what it looks like.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]459546[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]459547[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails photo-10-.jpg   photo-11-.jpg  
Old 01-30-2014, 07:04 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Oh how neat ...
Old 01-30-2014, 07:08 PM

Sounds so cute. That is really nice you found it.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:13 PM
Power Poster

Looked at the book on Amazon and found "The Quiltmakers Gift". Sounds like another interesting book to share with children.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
Looked at the book on Amazon and found "The Quiltmakers Gift". Sounds like another interesting book to share with children.
This is one of my favorites, my second grades classes love the story. There is also a prequel to it called "The Quiltmakers Jouney". Every year I do a presentation for the second grade about quilting and these are two books which are read to them before the presentation. This year we've added "Mooshka, A Quilt Story", I've made the quilt featured in the story with fabric designed by the author. I hope the kids love it as much as I do.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:40 AM

I'd love to buy this for my grandson...only 3yo but he has a sense of me and what I do. At xmas they were visiting from out of town (his other grandparents live in my same town) and when it came time for them to leave my home and visit the other grands he was not too happy about it and then demanded as three year olds can do so well that if he had to go he wanted to take my tablerunner, which he then proceeded to bunch up to his face like the many blankies I have made him....did touch my heart.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:07 PM

Nice book. I teach Children's Lit (most of my students will be elementary teachers), and I never thought of combining my vocation and avocation! I'll have to try this; thanks for the tip.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Nanaof4 View Post
This is one of my favorites, my second grades classes love the story. There is also a prequel to it called "The Quiltmakers Jouney". Every year I do a presentation for the second grade about quilting and these are two books which are read to them before the presentation. This year we've added "Mooshka, A Quilt Story", I've made the quilt featured in the story with fabric designed by the author. I hope the kids love it as much as I do.
I want to attend your class,hugs.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:14 PM

I was also involved in a great deal of children's literature in my job, before I retired a couple years ago.

I am not familiar with "Quilting Now and Then", but I love the "Quiltmaker's Gift" and the " Quiltmaker's Journey". They are beautifully illustrated children's books and great stories!

Also look for the accompanying books "Quilts from the Quiltmaker's Gift" and "More Quilts from the Quiltmaker's Gift". These two books give step by step directions on how to make many of the quilts from the story books. Great series of books!
Old 02-01-2014, 02:28 PM

I will be looking for these for my grand daughter, her mom is a childrens librarian at one of our branch libraries. I wonder if she knows these books.