Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Kaffe Fasset & Westminister, Free Spirit Fabrics

Kaffe Fasset & Westminister, Free Spirit Fabrics

This just came across my feed on Facebook. So sad. What now?

Dear Friends, We have just gotten news that Westminster will be closing down the fabric business. Their exact words are, "We will not be producing new Westminster or FreeSpirit Fabrics from today onwards". Come May 2018, the company we started over 20 years ago will be no longer. We feel confident that the Kaffe Collective is a viable fabric line and that another company will want to acquire us. So stay tuned. We wanted you to hear this from us first."
    Last edited by Patchworkbarb; 02-12-2018 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Additional info

OMG!!! disappointing

Oh, that's sad. I hope someone else does pick them up. I do understand though. Kaffe is getting older and if he's the driving force behind the fabric line, he may just not be willing (or able) to do it anymore
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini

Quote Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
    Oh, that's sad. I hope someone else does pick them up. I do understand though. Kaffe is getting older and if he's the driving force behind the fabric line, he may just not be willing (or able) to do it anymore
    its Free Spirit Fabrics, Tula Punk, Tim Holts, Amy Butler, plus a bunch of other designers. All fabrics manufacturer by Westminister.

Quote Originally Posted by Patchworkbarb View Post
    its Free Spirit Fabrics, Tula Punk, Tim Holts, Amy Butler, plus a bunch of other designers. All fabrics manufacturer by Westminister.
    If they are profitable lines and the designers want to continue, I'm sure they will find other manufacturer's to pick up their fabrics.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini

Wow! That's a lot of really good designers looking for new homes. I wonder what happened?

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Terrible. Why wouldn't they sell the company rather than close down? Seems so abrupt. Free Spirit was one of my favorites.

The Kaffe lines have been reprinted and reprinted... same with some of Amy Butler. They are the only ones I know of that you still see the same fabric in the stores from years ago. I think longer than two years is a mistake. As beautiful as they are, I'm tired of them.

I hope their well known and successful designers will be picked up quickly by other companies.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    I just heard this too. I am so saddened by the news. I had signed up for the Faffe BOM and was looking forward to it. I love Tula Pink's fabrics and know how hard she has been promoting her lines.

A friend who has an online shop just put in a sizable order, now she will not be able to reorder.

A sad day for quilting.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Wow, I love their fabric. The quality is superb.

Quote Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
    If they are profitable lines and the designers want to continue, I'm sure they will find other manufacturer's to pick up their fabrics.
    Totally agree!!!

................... watch the pandemonium and fabric hoarding start, with the uncertainty!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Totally agree!!!

................... watch the pandemonium and fabric hoarding start, with the uncertainty!
    Yup,that’s me, bought as much KF as I could afford

I hope the screens to print the fabric are the property of the designer and not Westminster/Coats or it may be awhile before we see fabric from these talented designers! Those lines take months to develop to get to printing stage.
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

.....the designers will probably be able to work with other mfgrs, but how about the employees of the facility,wonder how many there are actually.

What a shame. The company has produced such clear designs and the fabric is a perfect weight. I love the fact that many of the fabrics are available for a long time, since I don’t live near a quilt shop. I’ll have to shop soon!

Oh, my, I had not heard this before reading it here. Makes me want to run out and buy more KF fabric - I love his designs.
    Hopefully another company will pick up him and the others.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oh my! I heard Scott Fortunato--Jaftex Textiles (Studio E, Windham, etc) speak and he said while the market is very tight, one of the biggest issues is finding designers to come up with new lines--so hopefully all these wonderful designers will be picked up elsewhere. Wow--this is going to really shake up the fabric industry!

That is so sad to hear. Red Rooster and Kona Bay have also stopped production. Fabrics are getting more expensive for us to buy and for manufacturers to make profitably. I would not be surprised so see more manufacturers have to close. We are so lucky to have the amazing amount of different designers, manufacturers, fabrics, etc. now. When I started back in 1979 we didn’t have a lot of choices so we were taught to buy all the fabrics needed, inc,using borders, slashing and backing at one time. I dint do that now as I,know I can always find something wonderful whenever I may need it - even if it’s years later .

Sandy in Mooresville, NC

Blog Entries
    I agree with SewBizgirl, why not sell the company rather than just shutting down...makes you wonder what the story is. I’m sure the designers will find new sponsors for their lines and the popular designers will have less trouble.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Coats & Clark is the corporate entity that is divesting itself of producing these brands. I am sure that other mfgrs will pick up the designers. Stay tuned.....
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

So it seems this is just a conglomerate move....but as I mentioned before, the "designers" will definitely be picked up by others, but the employees of the brick and mortar facility will be out of jobs! Unless the takeover continues producing...

Candy at Candy's Quilts, NYC, says another company has purchased Westminster. Good news!!
    Dotty in NYC

Just saw this as an update to the Kaffe, Tula Pink etc. fabrics .... looks like it's all game-on with a new owner.

https://thimblesandthings.com/pages/frontpage
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Good news! Jaftex Textiles bought Free Spirit and are super excited (per Scott's blog) about it and working with these designers! Yea!