Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Marshall's Dry Goods - Ever wonder what it looks like?

Blog Entries

Marshall's Dry Goods - Ever wonder what it looks like?

Here's a great article about it with lots of pics. I wish I lived near there.
    https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/arka...17QkQbFXrTOc40
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

It wouldn't do for me to go there in person. I have a hard enough time behaving myself on their website. Budget? What budget? Just send me a yard of everything you have! ha ha

Wow, those pictures are a quilters dream come true, fabric as far as the eye can see. Thank you for sharing the link.
    To many quilts, not enough wine.

Janome Horizon Memory Craft 8900QCP, Special Edition
    Vingtage Dressmaker 7000 Heavy Duty

I have ordered fabrics from Marshall's many times, and have always dreamed of going there one of these days, but am not sure that would be a good idea, since I don't have room for the fabric I Have. LOL
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-23-2019 at 04:12 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Power Poster
    ​Looks awesome!

Oh my goodness. We have absolutely nothing like this in Australia. I have just been onto their website and seen the prices. I could cry when I think what we have to pay here.

Wouldn't we all love to go there once in a lifetime with about $1000 to spend??

Pocoellie, if you ever get to Southern CA you can go to M & L Fabrics on Ball Road in Anaheim. It's very similar to Marshall's Dry Goods.

Blog Entries
    Wow! Thanks for the link, QuiltnNan! That's awesome!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-24-2019 at 05:50 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I love Marshall’s and try to go about twice a year. I feel like Alice in Wonderland there. I shop all day and still feel like I haven’t seen everything. The staff are really sweet too.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am fortunate enough to live about 75 miles from Batesville; so I can go there. I love all of the fabrics, and the staff is really nice and helpful. I now can pick out the fabrics that the LQS buy from MDG and mark up a few dollars. Not all LQS do this, but some do. I do not care. I just do not want to pay $6.95 a yard for fabric that I know I can get for $3.99 or $4.99 per yard at the warehouse.

Now, that's a stash!
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Blog Entries
    It looks almost identical to Hancock's of Paducah - don't know about the wholesale part though.
    Nikki in MO

If I ever get to Paducah or Pigeon Forge for the quilt shows, I'm going to have to make a stop at Marshall on the to or back. I'll have to google just where Batesville is in AR.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
    It looks almost identical to Hancock's of Paducah - don't know about the wholesale part though.
    FYI - my youngest daughter lives in Paducah and we go to Hancock's of Paducah every time we visit her (5 hours away from here) and they have 10 rows of Batiks - my favorite!!! This store is not to be confused with Hancock Fabric Store - not related anyway.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-25-2019 at 05:05 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Nikki in MO

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've been there love that store

I live about 1 1/2 away so I go whenever I want. I love their $1 a yard bins. I have found 3 - 5 yard pieces of name brand fabric. The $1 a yard bins are very big and you never know what you will find. My last find was 5 yards of Riley Blake. I love to browse the back rooms.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I just placed an order! They had some Riley Blake Knit fabric that I am going to try sewing my grandson some clothes. They had some 1st quality bolt cotton fabrics for $1.95 a yard if you buy the entire bolt. Chickened out, anyone know if their bolted fabrics are nice?

Chickened out, anyone know if their bolted fabrics are nice?
    If you order name brand fabric it is the same as it is anywhere. Some of the MDG fabric is a little stiff to me with the exception of Dream Cotton. It's very good.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Here in the Twin Cities we have SR Harris fabric outlets. There is one about 10 miles from me. It's my happy place. Marshall's seems bigger and more open. My friend and I hope to road trip there someday!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anniedeb View Post
    Here in the Twin Cities we have SR Harris fabric outlets. There is one about 10 miles from me. It's my happy place. Marshall's seems bigger and more open. My friend and I hope to road trip there someday!
    I was at Harris's in Burnsville last year. The fabrics were stacked so close together, I had a hard time seeing and accessing them. It took a long-distance to get there, I used to live in Eagan and never went.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I purchase from Marchalls. I have purchased their Marchalls line prints as well as their Brand name fabrics. Other than the Dream color solids, I find most of their print fabrics lacking in design to the name brand fabrics. The feel is usually not as soft either, but there are some that I like and would use. What I question is the wear to these fabrics in terms of color retention and wear. How well do they hold up over time?

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    I was at Harris's in Burnsville last year. The fabrics were stacked so close together, I had a hard time seeing and accessing them. It took a long-distance to get there, I used to live in Eagan and never went.
    I know what you mean! The one I go to is in Brooklyn Center, and some fabrics are stacked so high, or deep that you need a ladder to reach it! The Burnsville one is on the other end of town from me and I've only been there once a long time ago.

Blog Entries
    I am thinking of buying a bolt of black fabric. Would this be the best place to do this and what brand have you guys used. (I bought some black Kona and it frayed badly, made me crazy)

I have not bought specifically their black. But I have bought their white by the bolt, as well as some other colors in yardage. I prefer to cut my own strips and squares as it is more economical. Their Dream cotton is really a nice fabric and I believe a heaveir weitht than the Kona. I can't say that I think it frays that much. There would be some when fabric is cut straight as opposed to pinked edges, but nothing that really bothers me.

I also like their Blended fabric when I don't want a true solid. They have a modled look and are more attractive in my mind when chosing colors (not necessarily blacks or whites) They also have a good weight to them, but not as nice a hand as the Dream cotton. I have purchased Kona solids, but other than their vast color offerings, I really prefer the Dream cotton. That's my take on it anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast