Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Mary Fons is auctioning off boxes of her fabric scraps

Mary Fons is auctioning off boxes of her fabric scraps

I follow her on Facebook and also read her blog which is her name dot com. She is going to box up her stash in Priority Flat Rate boxes and auction, not sure where. She said there are some good size pieces and many are name brand like Kaffe Fasset and Tula Pink. I am not a representative of hers or working for her, just thought I would put it out there. She said the boxes are going to start at $50, and that sounds spendy, and I might not get one, but, maybe I could luck into one for $50. A lot of fabric will fit into those boxes.
    Alyce

Power Poster
    But what would the shipping be on top of $50? Fabric is heavy to ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    But what would the shipping be on top of $50? Fabric is heavy to ship.
    flat rate boxes -$15. Can squish a lot of fabric into one of those boxes
    Alyce

I prefer to select my own fabrics, and I need to use up my stash without adding to it. But I am curious as to whether she's selling scraps or yardage, whether she coordinates the fabrics in a box, etc. If someone buys one of these, please post a picture of what you receive.

Auction?? Don't think she really needs the money...I'd rather donate them to a quilting quild. But that's just me......

Quote Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
    Auction?? Don't think she really needs the money...I'd rather donate them to a quilting quild. But that's just me......
    A lot of people will buy just for the name of the seller and she knows that as all quilt celebrities do.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
    ladies - I just put this out there in case anyone was interested. I am sort of interested. If you have a thing against Mary Fons or don’t want her fabric that is fine. I don’t have a stash so this intrigued me. I thought maybe one or two out there might be similarly intrigued. As far as her not needing the money- I have read her original Paper Girl blog and now read her current blog. Although her mother might be “rich and famous” Mary has had a lot of enormous life threatening health problems and still has them. She does not live “high on the hog” and seems to work hard. Unless she is conning all of us.

I am still intrigued. Whether I buy anything or not is still to be determined.
    Alyce

I encourage everyone to read the blog, which has details that respond to the doubts voiced in this post. She is taking this action, in part, as a therapeutic move to assist her to relieve a major depressive episode. Be kind to people with a diagnosed mental illness and look around as 25% of the population will experience a significant bout of depression in their lives.

That's way too much money for a box of scraps. That is, unless you are willing and able to help her cause.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

a medium flat rate box is currently 14.35, large, 19.95 according to the USPS website. Smashed in, you can get about 25 yards of fabric into a large flat rate box.

I haven't read the blog, but I know from the Quilt Show show,
    https://thequiltshow.com/component/a...qs-legend-2018
    she has poured a ton of money and time into making her town a quilt town, and totally fun to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
    a medium flat rate box is currently 14.35, large, 19.95 according to the USPS website. Smashed in, you can get about 25 yards of fabric into a large flat rate box.

I haven't read the blog, but I know from the Quilt Show show,
    https://thequiltshow.com/component/a...qs-legend-2018
    she has poured a ton of money and time into making her town a quilt town, and totally fun to visit.
    that is Marianne Fons, her mother, from Fons and Porter fame. This is Mary - one of Marianne’s daughters. She lives in Chicago
    Alyce

It can be considered a thank you for helping her out.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    that is Marianne Fons, her mother, from Fons and Porter fame. This is Mary - one of Marianne’s daughters. She lives in Chicago
    ah, thank you for correcting that. I'd alter my post if I could, sorry.

Must say how sorry I am that some were offended by my comment concerning the auction to be held by Mary Fons....it was not my intention to offend. I do not read Mary's blog so had no idea about her health issues. Perhaps if it had been mentioned that the proceeds were to go to a charity I would not have reacted as I did. Please forgive.

Blog Entries
    This was on her fb page and is the reason she is doing this:
    "I am selling off a large portion of my personal fabric stash … because I moving to a pet-friendly apartment! Yes! It’s the best thing ever! The only downside is that the space I’m moving to is way smaller than where I’m at now. Stuff’s about to get real, y’all."
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-23-2019 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Use quotes when quoting someone

I think this is totally cool, so thanks for sharing it. Sounds like a fun way to get some interesting fabrics into your stash!
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

These posts really confused me about who they were talking about. After a bit of investigation, I figured out it was Mary Fons, Marianne Fons daughter. The link to eBay is here:
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/missfons/m....1&_ipg=&_from=

The link to her blog is here:
    https://www.maryfons.com/2019/03/mar...-of-it-anyway/

There will be another eBay post on April 1st as evidently you can only post a certain amount of items per month.

Looks like most auctions are up to the $70-$80 range so far....highest is $91...
    Auctions end Wednesday...