Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   505 basting spray (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/505-basting-spray-t167345.html)

carolaug 11-09-2011 05:20 PM

505 basting spray

Joanns has basting spray on sale for $5.99 a can. And...you can also apply the 10 percent off coupon which is NGSP316 you can not get free shipping, but for 6 cans it only cost me 6.98 - I love 505 spray. it does not gum up the needle.

katier825 11-09-2011 05:23 PM

I wish my Joann's had the 505. I'd like to try it, but not at the prices at the LQS.

QuiltingJaguar 11-09-2011 05:24 PM

I have never tried spray basting, y ou must like and use it a lot. Can you tell me something about its use?

athomenow 11-09-2011 05:27 PM

My JoAnns doesn't carry the 505 either. I love it. I bought Dritz this last time but haven't tried it yet.

carolaug 11-09-2011 05:30 PM

No Joanns store carries it. You have to buy it on line. Its on sale now on line and you can use the 10 percent off coupon. I love that basting spray. I do not use any pins when I baste and sometimes I baste and do not quilt it for several day and never have had any issues. I love 505 spray.

susie-susie-susie 11-09-2011 06:09 PM

Spray basting is wonderful. The best part is no puckers. I love 505 spray, but I have used Dritz and like it too. I don't think it goes as far as the 505, so that makes it more expensive. It is so easy and fast to spray baste.
Sue

AFQSinc 11-09-2011 06:14 PM

I love 505 as well. When they had the .99 shipping I bought two cans but at this price I might have to get a couple more. I began using it because the weight of all of the pins was getting to be too much for my shoulders and wrists when I was quilting. I have also just started basting on my Cal King bed with no problems. I spray ( a little heavier on the edges) and let it sit for a day or so and then I start quilting. I've not yet had any problems with it not holding and my backing stays nice and smooth. I don't really see myself going back to using pins again.

Also, I have a Bernina 440 - so not a large harp at all but I've not yet had any problems with the spray not holding through all of the pushing and pulling that I do during quilting. I will be tackling a quilt that will be about twin size maybe a little larger in the next few months. I'm not anticipating any problems. I may spray just a little bit heavier on that one. I always give my quilts a pretty heavy duty washing when I'm done (much harsher than what I suggest that receipient do) so I'm not worried about all of the spray coming out.

vondae 11-09-2011 07:46 PM

Our Wal-mart carries the 505 basting spray. Not sure of the price, but sure it's cheaper than Joann's. You might give it a look see.

Dorian 11-10-2011 09:48 AM

Thanks for the tip! that is a great deal!

kheliwud 11-10-2011 01:19 PM

I just ordered my recent can of 505 from Connecting Threads. I believe it was 30% off, they tend to put their notions at that discount a few times a year. I also ordered batting (also 30% off) and had an over $50 order so the shipping was free. I like 505 best since it has very little odor. I had used another basting spray that was gummy, but 505 is GREAT! Sure easier that pin basting for me.