Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Alert on Pocket Pack Tissue Prices! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/alert-pocket-pack-tissue-prices-t204471.html)

Daylesewblessed 10-28-2012 10:07 AM

Alert on Pocket Pack Tissue Prices!

So many of us have been making individual tissue covers with the instructions from this post: http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...r-t107636.html. I volunteered to do 100 of them for the pre-school teachers at our church school. Then I discovered the going rate for tissues to put in them was not cheap.

After shopping around, the best I could do on Kleenex brand packages of 8 pocket packets was $2.19 at Dollar General. I had remembered seeing some generic packages a few years ago at Staples. I checked last week and didn't see them, but today I spotted a barrel in the aisle by the regular facial tissues and paper towels. Each packet was priced at 19 cents each, but if you bought 10 of them, they were only 10 cents each!

The brand name is "Home Select". There are 10 tissues in each packet and they are 3-ply. That compares to the Kleenex brand. The packet is a little skinnier than the Kleenex packet, but it is also seems to be a little thicker, so it fits into the tissue covers made from the pattern posted on the board. Dimensions of each tissue are 7.9 x 8.1 inches, whereas Kleenex dimensions are 8.6 x 8.3 inches.

I have no idea if this brand is available nationally at all Staples or if it is some kind of "special purchase". I am very glad to have come upon it, since it made the cost of my project manageable.

End of my consumer report!

Dayle

Deborahlees 10-28-2012 10:34 AM

Thank you for sharing....I remember a couple of years ago (bad flu season) couldn't find any at any price....time to stock up !!!!

cowgirlquilter 10-28-2012 11:25 AM

Thanks for the great info. I made some as gifts so I will need to stock up somewhere....

Pinkiris 10-28-2012 11:41 AM

Be sure and check the description on any packages you find at cheaper prices. I bought some for my own use and found out that the "tissues" were like cheap, fast-food napkins. Not what I want to use on my nose when it's sore!

Some of the tissue packs now open on the ends instead of down the middle, like they used to. Someone smarter than I on this board said that she carefully slits those packages down the center to use in her tissue holders. Great idea!

Bamagal 10-28-2012 12:10 PM

Thanks I'll be on the look out!

BellaBoo 10-28-2012 12:14 PM

If you need a lot of tissue packs, make the holders square not rectangle and cut regular boxed tissues in half. They still pop up one at a time and so much cheaper then the individual tissue packs. I refill my square on all the time from my home tissue box.

GailG 10-28-2012 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Pinkiris (Post 5619032)
Be sure and check the description on any packages you find at cheaper prices. I bought some for my own use and found out that the "tissues" were like cheap, fast-food napkins. Not what I want to use on my nose when it's sore!

Some of the tissue packs now open on the ends instead of down the middle, like they used to. Someone smarter than I on this board said that she carefully slits those packages down the center to use in her tissue holders. Great idea!

It's amazing what one can learn when they hop onto the QB for a while. Thanks for the tips.

quilter1943 10-28-2012 12:32 PM

cvs has their own brand. not as good as Kleenex, but they're soft and hold up pretty well.

QuiltE 10-28-2012 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5619111)
If you need a lot of tissue packs, make the holders square not rectangle and cut regular boxed tissues in half. They still pop up one at a time and so much cheaper then the individual tissue packs. I refill my square on all the time from my home tissue box.

For oneself ... a great idea.

However, from a sanitary viewpoint, I would not do it for any that I was gifting.

If purchasing off brands, check first on the sizing.

I bought some once that were a longer pouch pak, than the standard kleenex dimensions and would not fit into the tissue holder I had.

quiltingmimipj 10-28-2012 12:53 PM

Dollar General has Home Select as well as the Kleenex brand. The Home Select are smaller 7.9 x 8.1 inches.