Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Binding a Quilt, Ive never seen this way (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/binding-quilt-ive-never-seen-way-t183471.html)

QuilterMomma 03-22-2012 07:32 AM

I still rather miter mine then sewing the rest of the binding on the quilt. Mitering before i start just means I have more hand sewing to do and then the chance of it coming apart are greater to me.

QuiltingGrannie 03-22-2012 09:33 AM

I used to tuck my ends that way, then learned to do the mitered ending and use the miter cutting ruler to make it easier. I like the way it gives it a completely finished connection instead of a loose fold where they are tucked.

Geri B 03-22-2012 11:44 AM

this is the way I have been doing bindings for many years...what part is "new" to you.

JanieH 03-22-2012 12:49 PM

Looks like a great tutorial for binding. Thanks for the site.

vlrigdon 03-22-2012 01:51 PM

I've always done my bindings this way, too. I think I lift the corner fold a little more than the tutorial, to make sure I don't catch it when I start sewing again, and that way I am pretty sure to have a square corner. I miter my ends, though, even when I make placemats, even though that is a little difficult because I don't have lots of room to work with. It makes the binding all sewn, all perfect.

caspharm 03-22-2012 04:40 PM

The only thing I saw different from how I learned is how much of a seam when attaching the binding to the quilt. She is using 1/3" and I learned to use 3/8".

tesspug 03-22-2012 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by sak658 (Post 5079392)
Now I see this.....I just bought the binding tool from Missouri quilt store.. haven't tried it yet but will on my next quilt...I was having to watch a video on how to finish off the bindiing everytime I got finished with a quilt..so I ordered the tool..I might try this way also and decide which I like better...the tool was on sale and they make it look so easy on their tutorials...thanks for the tip...

I have used the Missouri quilt binding tool for several quilts now. I did have to watch the video for the first few times, but it does make a very smooth finish.

duckydo 03-22-2012 05:23 PM

Yes, I have seen it done this way, I think it is just a matter of preference. I think if it is in a quilt show, not sure how the judges or quilt police look at the binding, depends on how big the show is. Some judges can be rather pickey about how you finish you binding. I think this way is fine.

quilting in my60s 03-22-2012 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingCrazie (Post 5076395)
I'm not understanding what's different??

The difference I see is how she started the binding and ended it. Looks nice!

Rose_P 03-22-2012 09:05 PM

I learned this method from a youtube video, and it's easier than trying to sew the mitered seam at the end. I am not at my home computer, or I'd possibly be able to find the link.