Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's Mystery quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/bonnie-hunters-mystery-quilt-t73825.html)

Candace 01-01-2011 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by omak

Originally Posted by Candace
So....what does everyone think of the blocks she's posted?? I got my CD and and finished all my 600HST, but now my machine needs to go in for service. So, I'm doubting I want to tackle the rest on my back-up.

Well bummer! If you aren't going to do the next parts right away, what are you going to be working on? (inquiring minds want to know <g> <wave>

I've got some UFO's that I will probably finish before this one as I don't want to mess up my 1/4" seam allowance with another machine. I've got some cutting and reorganizing to do and if it ever stops raining here in CA., I need to prune and spray my fruit trees. So, I have at least a week or more of work that I NEED to do anyway. My machine getting serviced is just prompting me to do it.

:thumbup: I also have a bunch of rag quilts that need assembling, so I could do those too. And I can use my back-up machine for that.

Candace 01-01-2011 03:12 PM

I'm not in love with the pink/red/green combo. but maybe once I start assembling it, I'll change my mind.

Tussymussy 01-01-2011 03:38 PM

It looks fun and such a good way to use up scraps. Only just found it, but will be starting it in a few days after haunting our charity (thrift or goodwill) shops for lots of neutrals.

Shirts will be useful and have found a use for all that shirting I bought but never got around to using.

skjquiltnut 01-01-2011 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tussymussy
It looks fun and such a good way to use up scraps. Only just found it, but will be starting it in a few days after haunting our charity (thrift or goodwill) shops for lots of neutrals.

Shirts will be useful and have found a use for all that shirting I bought but never got around to using.

Help! Please! I can't figure out how to get Bonnie Hunters Mystery Q part 7 I am totally lost, where do I go? Thanks

Candace 01-01-2011 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by skjquiltnut

Help! Please! I can't figure out how to get Bonnie Hunters Mystery Q part 7 I am totally lost, where do I go? Thanks

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/p/rol...tton-boll.html

JeanieG 01-01-2011 04:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well here is what my 2 blocks look like. I sewed the two last night to see what they would look like. They are not cropped yet.

I have a problem with Block 1 as it measures 10 3/4" rather than 11". I have only put one together so will see how some of the others come out. If they all measure that, then I will cut Block 2 to 10 3/4" instead of 11".

omak 01-01-2011 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by JeanieG
Well here is what my 2 blocks look like. I sewed the two last night to see what they would look like. They are not cropped yet.

I have a problem with Block 1 as it measures 10 3/4" rather than 11". I have only put one together so will see how some of the others come out. If they all measure that, then I will cut Block 2 to 10 3/4" instead of 11".

If I remember correctly, you are going to trim the string pieced blocks to 10.5", so you are well within the measurements. <wave>

MY MISTAKE -- you are correct ... eleanor burns says that if the block is within a quarter inch of what it is supposed to measure, you can stretch it ... when I made one of the Victory Quilts, I had a similar problem, and she was correct - - the difference was easily solved with a little pressure. <wave> finished size of the blocks should be 10.5"

vbourck 01-01-2011 07:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)

I used a lot of shirts for my neutrals-actually for all my colors except the red/white HSTs and they worked well. Here is how much I have done so far. I was not a fan of pink/green/brown-didn't have many pinks at all. The best part is I used all stuff on hand- didn't buy any fabric at all.

almost 1/3 done!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]151449[/ATTACH]

close up of first two blocks-tried 2 with scrappy large HSTs but don't like it as well as all 4 the same
[ATTACH=CONFIG]151450[/ATTACH]

JeanieG 01-01-2011 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by omak

Originally Posted by JeanieG

If I remember correctly, you are going to trim the string pieced blocks to 10.5", so you are well within the measurements. <wave>

Block 1 is suppose to measure 11" according to the directions. Mine are 1/4" short. The string blocks are suppose to be squared to 11" also. They are suppose to finish at 10.5.

MY MISTAKE -- you are correct ... eleanor burns says that if the block is within a quarter inch of what it is supposed to measure, you can stretch it ... when I made one of the Victory Quilts, I had a similar problem, and she was correct - - the difference was easily solved with a little pressure. <wave> finished size of the blocks should be 10.5"

s.daurio 01-02-2011 06:33 AM

[quote=vbourck]

I used a lot of shirts for my neutrals-actually for all my colors except the red/white HSTs and they worked well. Here is how much I have done so far. I was not a fan of pink/green/brown-didn't have many pinks at all. The best part is I used all stuff on hand- didn't buy any fabric at all.

That looks awesome. I'm collecting shirts now from husband and son-in-laws, so I hope to use them in quilts going forward, fantastic idea!! Love your quilt so far.