Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Book recommendation for new quilter? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/book-recommendation-new-quilter-t228315.html)

zozee 08-19-2013 10:55 AM

Book recommendation for new quilter?

Could you recommend a book or two that you would say is a must-have in one's quilting library! I would like a reference book that covers basic questions and terminology with easy instructions and illustrations. I'm sure i could use the internet for just about everything, but I would like to have a book as well.

Krystyna 08-20-2013 03:49 AM

Nancy Zeiman's Quilt with Confidence
The Quilting Bible
Both are simple and direct with lots of photos.

judi wess 08-20-2013 04:11 AM

Don't think it is still in print but this is a comprehensive guide to quilting...Fons and Porter's Complete Guide to Quilting. Think the title is correct, could be wrong though. I still refer to it and have been quilting since '89. My hard back is spiral bound is so nice, it lies flat! I also learned a lot from the Georgia Bonesteel lap quilting books.

Geri B 08-20-2013 05:37 AM

There are a few good basic books out there and I have those and many more...but I must say in today's world I think the tutes are a great learning tool. But you must remember tute presenters as well as authors of books have their way of doing some things......so read and watch all you can absorb, try different techniques, say on HSTs, then perfect the one that you like best...and like all quilters......a new way will always replace what we have been doing...can you imagine what some of our Quiltsisters might have created having all the tools we have now......

Letty 08-20-2013 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by zozee (Post 6243620)
Could you recommend a book or two that you would say is a must-have in one's quilting library! I would like a reference book that covers basic questions and terminology with easy instructions and illustrations. I'm sure i could use the internet for just about everything, but I would like to have a book as well.

Hi, most certainly I would recommend ' The Quilters Ultimate Visual Guide' edited by Ellen Pahl. It is a Rodale Quilt book . ISBN 0-87596-987-9.After many years of buying books this is the one I would choose to give a beginer. Love Letty.

Fortyniner 08-20-2013 06:18 PM

Zozee, I just got interested in quilting last fall and found a book I really liked at Joann's Fabric. It's called Complete Guide to Quilting by Better Homes and Gardens. It really helped me with quilting terms, selecting cutting and marking tools, rotary cutting, selecting needles, designing a work space and piecing. It has lots of charts that are really useful. I really learned all kinds of things from it, although I have also learned lots from this board as well as slews of videos I watched on line.

katesnanna 08-21-2013 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Letty (Post 6245385)
Hi, most certainly I would recommend ' The Quilters Ultimate Visual Guide' edited by Ellen Pahl. It is a Rodale Quilt book . ISBN 0-87596-987-9.After many years of buying books this is the one I would choose to give a beginer. Love Letty.

I agree with Letty. Rodale Books are well written and easy to understand. I have several of them.

grandmasieg 08-21-2013 10:12 PM

I was at Big Lots last week and I found A Leisure Arts Publication "Encyclopedia of Quilting" by Donna Kooler for $5.00. It's a fantastic book! Pattern Gallery - 20 projects / History / Basic techniques/ Hand and Machine Quilting / Foundation Piecing / Applique / Trapunto / Color Theory / Drafting. It's 240 pages of easy to understand information. So glad I found it.

nhweaver 08-22-2013 05:43 AM

Two books that I refer to, and would not do without:
1. Quilting Shortcuts by Maggie Malone - use it to figure out how many blocks I need to make for different size quilts, also did use it for fabric yardage needs, now use the Quilter's Fabric Calc.
2. Quiltmaking Tips and Techniques, a rodale quilt book - use it and refer to it (marked the page) for making binding corners, and tons of other hints.

DOTTYMO 08-23-2013 04:43 AM

It depends on how you learn. I prefer words to pictures so have to choose a wordy book. The ones already mentioned are the onesi have.