Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Can you name this pattern? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/can-you-name-pattern-t291678.html)

themadpatter 10-06-2017 08:37 PM

Also, thank you Gay for taking the time to diagram it, and everyone else, for helping solve the puzzle. However, I don't think we are done quite yet. I copied them and pasted them into Paint, and zoomed in as much as I could, and I don't see any piecing lines in those peach corners of the path squares. I think whoever made it went to the trouble of using (insert name of shape here) shaped pieces to save the half inch cross shape of the seam allowances. A few of them looked like the have the + shaped seam, but most don't. Some of them look like they have weird seams in those pieces, like she ran out of fabric, but was determined to finish. I have buyers remorse. I wish I'd bought it.

lindaschipper 10-07-2017 03:36 AM

To me it looks like a four patch block along with a variation of Grandma's Fan for the curved block. I could be wrong!

Barb in Louisiana 10-07-2017 08:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I see a 16 patch block that is made up of 4 sets of 4 patches. I am assuming that it finishes as an 8 inch block when you combine all the 4 patches together. The other block is an 8 inch finished block that has the first curve in each corner at the 2 inch mark. The second curve is in the middle at the 4 inch block. It probably should be paper pieced.

Edited to Add: On second thought, the curved block would probably be better as templates. They should be fairly easy to draw using grid paper.

Jan in VA 10-07-2017 10:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by themadpatter (Post 7920110)
Forgot to add- is it a difficult pattern? I note that it has curves...

What an interesting old quilt top you found. With curves it would be a bit difficult to piece, yes, and is likely why the original quilter didn't finish it. (It looks like just a top to me; is it?)
But the pattern could be modified to be pieced with straight cuts and still look quite interesting. Try using a 4patch with the below block.

Jan in VA

The instructions for snowballing can be used on two opposite corners of a block too, like in the pink and blue picture.

ube quilting 10-07-2017 12:09 PM

A very interesting pattern and going for $31. Wow!

I agree with the 16 patch alternated with the curved block. Wonderful.

themadpatter 10-07-2017 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 7921042)
What an interesting old quilt top you found. With curves it would be a bit difficult to piece, yes, and is likely why the original quilter didn't finish it. (It looks like just a top to me; is it?)

Yes, it was just the top.

Gay 10-08-2017 01:06 AM

themadpatter - I drew this block up in EQ7 when I realized how it was done, saved an image, then opened it in drawing programs I have to separate the units. At first I too thought it was made with a 16 patch, but that didn't work. If you enlarge one particular pic on that webpage you will notice the photo was of the back side of the quilt, hence it looks as if the seams are all over the place. Boy, I really studied that quilt it was so interesting. If you really want it I can send you a printout or templates, if you pm me your email and the size you would like the block.
I would think it was probably made up with the 16 patch and the curved snowballed block, but I looked at the colouring too, and thought keeping the fabrics coordinated would be easier done this way. I also noticed some of those pink sections were pieced/patched as well, truly a scrappy quilt.

karenpatrick 10-09-2017 03:18 PM

You can make those curved pieces by applique and it's a lot easier. I think Nancy Zieman did a segment on her TV show with instructions
I love the pattern. I've never

seen it before.

Jan in VA 10-11-2017 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by karenpatrick (Post 7922279)
You can make those curved pieces by applique and it's a lot easier. I think Nancy Zieman did a segment on her TV show with instructions
I love the pattern. I've never seen it before.

I agree applique would be 'easier,' But not everybody knows how yet, or enjoys applique.

Jan in VA

themadpatter 10-11-2017 10:42 PM

Gay, I agree that it is a really fascinating quilt. I drew it out on graph paper to try to understand it better. And yes, I noticed that most of the pictures seem to be of the back of the quilt. The randomness of the photos on sgw can never be underestimated! I think I am going to try to use the piece-lique technique to make the curved parts of the blocks. I think I will have a better chance than trying to piece a bunch of inside and outside curves. I'm a really type A perfectionistic Capricorn, and that might bring things to a complete halt while I fret over the fact that they are not identical and perfect, lol. I'm 61.5 y.o., and I'm finally accepting who I am. Trying to be a different person than who you know in your heart you are is a spectacular Fail!! in my experience. But, as they say, I digress, lol.

I'm so glad that this is as interesting to some of you as it is to me. Nerds like to have company, too, hehehe.