Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Consumer Reports ,best buy, irons (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/consumer-reports-best-buy-irons-t217790.html)

copycat 04-01-2013 06:03 AM

Thanks you are so thoughtful to pass the information to all. I am looking for an iron and will go to the library to read the reports on irons.

meow meow 04-01-2013 06:52 AM

I have an Oreck cordless Iron too and have had it put away cause I am not sure I am using it right and I have no instructions. My aunt gave it to me when they got it free for purchasing a vacuum cleaner and she doesn't know what happened to the instructions either. She said she would plug it in and let it get hot and then she could take it to where she was sewing and not trip over the cord, however she never used steam Quilt Till U Wilt do you use the steam and does it spray out does the iron get it hot enough?

quiltstringz 04-01-2013 07:02 AM

One of things that we have to consider, is that as quilters we use our irons differently! On a lot more and probably much more use than the person who is just pressing what came out of the dryer a little wrinkled.

quiltstringz 04-01-2013 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Newbeefromjersey (Post 5969532)
LOVE the Euro iron!!!!! I was at the Lanscaster Quilt Show a few weeks back and memorized at the demo for the Euro iron. My husband was suppose to be there with me but of course he couldn't join me till later that night (from New Jersey), anyway my daughter called him and explained how captivated I was with this iron ( he felt really bad arriving that night), and gave her his credit card number and said to get it for me. Anyway it is expensive ($200.00) but it comes with a lifetime guarantee and a nifty travel iron. Since I've brought it home I have been ironing everything and steaming everything that is on a hangar. This ironing is great and I think I will be saving a lot of money in the long run not having to purchase another iron. By the way I have been leaving it in fine fabrics like silk and a beaded evening top like the demo lady did and it doesn't scorch anything. Good by to my other irons forever!

I also bought this at a QS but use it mostly for when I am making t-shirt quilts. Had a couple of friends who after I bought said they had read not so good reviews on it, so I was afraid of using it all the time as I want it to last for the t-shirts as long as possible.

mjhaess 04-01-2013 07:17 AM

Thsnks for sharing....

Quiltshaker 04-01-2013 07:19 AM

Have not had good success with Rowenta irons.

Sucia 04-01-2013 07:38 AM

I had a Rowenta, that I liked and it died of old age. Then I had a T-fal That I liked better and it died of old age. A couple of weeks ago I bought a Hamilton Beach at Kmart, because it had all the features I wanted on the Rowenta at Joann and more and was even heavier (which I like) and was $20.00 cheaper.

I absolutely love it. It has the 3-way auto shut off. It has push button setter. It remembers your last setting and turns that one on for you. It beeps when you turn it on, it beeps when it up to heat which takes about 1 minute, and it beeps when it shuts off.

It is heavy enough to iron out wrinkles and the shot of steam is a real shot of steam, not a little puff. You can set it to use it as a steamer.

The cord is retractable which is very handy since my sewing room is part of the living room.

I had no idea that Hamiton Beach made irons but this has been love at first use.

quilting in my60s 04-01-2013 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by farmquilter (Post 5965527)
Best buy irons they tested and recommend are the Singer, Expert Finish EF at about $60. and the Rowenta, Effective Comfort DV2070 at about $50. The list of the other 6 they recommend is in the May 2013 issue of Consumer Reports.
The topic always comes up about which one is best so thought I would pass on the latest info.

Thanks for sharing but I don't trust Consumer Reports to know what is best for people who sew or quilt. Ask me how I know? From taking their advice several times and been disappointed.

Ileen 04-01-2013 04:36 PM

Thanks for Sharing

roadrunr 04-02-2013 06:38 AM

I own a Rowenta, it leaks and after less than a year the iron does stay on. It warms up and then after a certain amount of time, the auto shutoff kicks in and turns it off and the things doesn't turn back on. At first, I was able to unplug it and plug it back in and it would heat up, but now once it shuts itself off, it doesn't come back on. I wouldn't buy another Rowenta again.