Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Do you need a good steam iron? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/do-you-need-good-steam-iron-t313297.html)

Onebyone 11-29-2020 09:18 AM

Do you need a good steam iron?

My friend has this iron and says it's the best iron she has used. She texted me this morning and said it was a cyber deal on Amazon. She ordered a spare. I thought I'd try it, it's inexpensive for a iron.

BEAUTURAL 1800-Watt Steam Iron with Digital LCD Screen, Double-Layer and Ceramic Coated Soleplate, 3-Way Auto-Off, 9 Preset Temperature and Steam Setting.

It cost me $27.96 free shipping.

Watson 11-29-2020 12:01 PM

I thought I might give it a try, but it's $55.00 on Amazon here in Canada so I think I'll just put up with the one I have!

Looks nice, though.

Watson

SusieQOH 11-29-2020 12:46 PM

I may buy it. I have a Shark 1800 watt but it doesn't seem to be all that great at getting wrinkles out.
Thanks for the info.

audsgirl 11-29-2020 09:55 PM

I bought one of these a couple of months ago and am not totally thrilled with it. It does get hot, and it has small steam holes, which is good for fusing. It is not too heavy, either. What I don't like is that I can't move the iron side to side, like when I am ironing large pieces of fabric, without the iron beeping and going on pause. If I put it in an upright position, it reverts to the on setting. I also don't like that I have to press the buttons to go up and down the settings to turn it on or off. I prefer a dial I can turn. I only put water in it once and decided it was too much hassle to empty it after every use. But it didn't cost much.

Leslie

Onebyone 11-30-2020 08:41 AM

Thanks audsgirl, I asked my friend about your experience with the iron beeping. She said that hasn't happened to her while ironing anything. She said to hold the button down to get to the setting you want, don't push for every setting. If the iron I get doesn't perform like expect I will return it.

Quiltwoman44 11-30-2020 08:58 AM

HA! I found this hold the button thing down when setting my stove. Did not know that! I was pushing and pushing.....

ladyinpurple135 11-30-2020 11:30 AM

I have lots of irons from my expensive Rowenta down to a very inexpensive one from Joanna. I don’t use steam much at all but I took a class a couple years ago at my quilt guild and the teacher required a steam iron. I had recently bought one of those little ones that fit into your hand (I now have at least three if theses!!) and used it. Boy was I surprised! It steamed beautifully and didn’t run out of water throughout the whole class. There are several brands now in the market but my original one was about $30 and us called “steam??” Can’t remember the full name but it is white and bright lime on the handle part.

One more thing I’ve heard about irons spitting, especially Rowenta - is that I was taught to empty my iron of water when finished using it, and the iron also needs to be up to temperature before using it. If it’s spitting, it just isn’t heated yet to the temperature you want.

I do really like my pink Oliso though.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC

Onebyone 12-01-2020 02:21 PM

I got the iron yesterday and it is really nice. It sure gets hot fast. I didn't get a chance to use it except to turn it on, as my daughter was over when I opened the box. She said one of the boys knocked over the ironing board and her iron broke when it hit the floor and she would have to buy a new one. She presses the boys clothes for school every morning. I gave this one to her as it would be fine for clothes and decided to buy the iron I really wanted to begin with. The Reliable steam generated iron with steam station that I saw on cyber sale that very morning.

QuiltingVagabond 12-01-2020 03:25 PM

This iron was at a retreat I went to last year, it was a really good iron!

SusieQOH 12-03-2020 06:25 AM

I mentioned my 1800 watt Shark didn't seem to iron well. But I've never put water in it. I've had so much trouble with leaks in the past that I decided not to use it as a steam iron when I bought it. Maybe that's my problem though. I've been using a spray mister (but only when I think of it and can find it lol)
I put that iron in my cart and it's gone up a bit, though not much. Maybe I'll just see what mine does with some steam.