Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Getting a better thread deal (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/getting-better-thread-deal-t287085.html)

sewbeeit42 03-26-2017 11:56 AM

Getting a better thread deal

Friday I bought some 3 spools of all cotton thread from JoAnn's. It was $4.49 for 220 yards of the gray and green and 274 yards of the dahlia, 50 w 100% cotton by Gutermann. When I got home with my purchase the new Connecting Threads catalog had arrived. In it they have 100% size 50/3 extra long staple cotton thread at 1,200 yards for $2.79 in a beautiful array of colors. It has a satin finish and double mercerized for a stronger finish. I intend to buy some from Connecting Threads from now on. Their variegated thread is $3.99 per spool of 1,200 yards and is gorgeous too. Connecting Threads is a much better buy. I have purchased kits and fabric from them and have been pleased each time.

ckcowl 03-26-2017 12:00 PM

I've been buying thread from connecting threads and Superior Threads for years. Haven't been very happy with the Joanne's prices( or quality) for a long time

GEMRM 03-26-2017 12:11 PM

I really like the Connecting Threads threads and use them almost exclusively. They do produce more lint than some other brands, but as long as you clean out the bobbin area often, it's not a problem, at least not for me.

IrishgalfromNJ 03-26-2017 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by GEMRM (Post 7792146)
I really like the Connecting Threads threads and use them almost exclusively. They do produce more lint than some other brands, but as long as you clean out the bobbin area often, it's not a problem, at least not for me.

I agree. Last year I purchased a lot of different colors of threads from Connecting Threads and I have a great supply of their cotton thread. I love the thread and the price.

dluvs2quilt 03-26-2017 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by sewbeeit42 (Post 7792136)
Friday I bought some 3 spools of all cotton thread from JoAnn's. It was $4.49 for 220 yards of the gray and green and 274 yards of the dahlia, 50 w 100% cotton by Gutermann. When I got home with my purchase the new Connecting Threads catalog had arrived. In it they have 100% size 50/3 extra long staple cotton thread at 1,200 yards for $2.79 in a beautiful array of colors. It has a satin finish and double mercerized for a stronger finish. I intend to buy some from Connecting Threads from now on. Their variegated thread is $3.99 per spool of 1,200 yards and is gorgeous too. Connecting Threads is a much better buy. I have purchased kits and fabric from them and have been pleased each time.

Sometimes their thread goes on sale.

zozee 03-26-2017 09:22 PM

I'm very pleased with CT thread.

jmoore 03-27-2017 02:20 AM

I have always been satisfied with CT thread...I don't use it for every single project but it is a great price.

Snooze2978 03-27-2017 03:51 AM

Most all my quilting thread comes from Connecting Threads. I've used both their cotton and polyester for quilting. True their cotton is linty but I can clean my machine out as I normally do with any thread for the price I can get their thread for.

rl2b-Roseanne 03-27-2017 03:58 AM

Hmm, I haven't heard of Connecting Threads but have been using Gutermann from Joann's for years. I think the main reason I use it is because I can take my piece in and match the thread. How do you do that with Connecting Threads?

quilterpurpledog 03-27-2017 04:17 AM

I like Superior threads and buy when on sale. I think their sample cards are a great buy and allow you to choose your color with confidence. I frequently get together with friends to make an order and save on the shipping. I recently purchased a cone of cotton thread from CT but have not used it yet.