Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Great way to join quilt binding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/great-way-join-quilt-binding-t273596.html)

jmoore 12-23-2015 04:15 AM

I've also saved it to my favorites... I will have to try this next time. I currently use the Binding Angel tutorial.

QuiltnNan 12-23-2015 06:00 AM

wow, came out perfect. thanks for sharing

copycat 12-23-2015 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by mawluv (Post 7411505)
lisalovesquilting, you turn the first piece of binding up at a 45 degree angle, then cross the other piece over it and turn it up at a 45 degree angle, then cut them off even with the binding like she shows. I use this method any time that I join binding. It works on really wide or really narrow.

I am still lost. It looks to me that she turns one end up at 45 degree angle and then flips the same end over again. I don't know what to do with the left end? Please help my quilted brain understand. Thank you!

Snooze2978 12-23-2015 07:27 AM

I've been doing it that way for some time now but what I do 1st it glue press my binding down all the way around till I get to the beginning, connect the 2 ends as stated in your instructions using glue again, go to the machine, stitch the ends together, trim, glue the rest down and then take it to the machine and stitch the entire binding down in one swoop. I tend to prick myself with straight pins so this saves me from getting blood on my quilt on the last step. It may sound like an extra step to some but this procedure has worked out best for me. I tried stitching the binding down without the glue and it stretched and didn't fit, moved around on me even with the pins in place so went back to my glue method. And yes, I used Elmer's Glue whic washes out. I always wash the quilt before giving it to the recipent as I use lots of starch, don't pre-wash my fabrics and washing before giving it will eliminate any chemicals that might cause problems for the person.

MarleneC 12-23-2015 11:36 PM

First you take the right side and fold it up at the 45 degree angle and then you pick up the left binding and pull it over the right folded binding and then you turn it up 45 degrees. So, the left side is actually now over the right--sort of like crossing your fingers.

Originally Posted by copycat (Post 7411663)
I am still lost. It looks to me that she turns one end up at 45 degree angle and then flips the same end over again. I don't know what to do with the left end? Please help my quilted brain understand. Thank you!

copycat 12-24-2015 04:19 AM

Thank you for the detailed explanation

Originally Posted by MarleneC (Post 7412395)
First you take the right side and fold it up at the 45 degree angle and then you pick up the left binding and pull it over the right folded binding and then you turn it up 45 degrees. So, the left side is actually now over the right--sort of like crossing your fingers.

Thank you! Thank you!...I understand now. I will give it a try for sure. I appreciate your extra explanation and your visual of the finger crossing helped! :))

schoolteacher 12-24-2015 04:28 AM

Tried this last night and it is great!!! No bulk and the tutorial is easily understood. Thanks for making my life easier.

zennia 12-24-2015 04:36 AM

Something I am going to try for sure. Why is binding the hardest part?

earlori7 12-24-2015 06:06 AM

The last quilt binding I did I glued before stitching. It took considerably more time, but I loved the results, especially when hand sewing the binding. No binding clips. I will do this next time unless I am in a hurry to finish.

lisalovesquilting 12-24-2015 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by mawluv (Post 7411505)
lisalovesquilting, you turn the first piece of binding up at a 45 degree angle, then cross the other piece over it and turn it up at a 45 degree angle, then cut them off even with the binding like she shows. I use this method any time that I join binding. It works on really wide or really narrow.

Thanks! I will try this.