Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Hancock's Liquidation Sale has started (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/hancocks-liquidation-sale-has-started-t277549.html)

quiltingshorttimer 04-08-2016 05:05 PM

Hancock's Liquidation Sale has started

Probably you have heard by now that Hancock's Fabrics is going out of business--the liquidation sale started this week and they anticipate that the place will be cleared out by 10-13 weeks (although there today and was told that they still have stuff in warehouse so will keep selling until the majority of it is gone). Right now almost everything (including Accuquilt Go and sewing machines) is marked down 20%. The longer the sale, the more it will go down.

I was in today and it was very, steady, busy. I went for specific stuff like some flannel backed tablecloth, outdoor upholstery fabric, some specific colors of quilting fabric, wideback and a few notions. I will say that even though they just started the process this Monday or Tues, it was already looking like lots are gone. There is a min. of 2 yd purchase on fabric on the bolt except fine upholstery--which was 5yd min.
Looks like the quilters had done a good job of buying up rulers, stencils, etc. (i.e. no size 12 machine needles and no 45mm rotary blades when I was in). Also they are no longer honoring any other discounts or coupons as a liquidation company actually bought them when they ended up not getting financial backers when they filed for bankruptcy/Chap 11.

I bought so many things that I know I will use or needed--didn't melt the plastic credit card (also only taking credit card or cash--no checks)but glad I live 45miles from the nearest one so I don't go again!

sandy l 04-09-2016 03:07 AM

I went to the one here in Ft.Wayne yesterday. Not busy at all. Got a couple pieces to use for backing and a quilt book. If the sale prices go up in a week or so, may go back.

ManiacQuilter2 04-09-2016 03:12 AM

There hasn't been one near me in probably over 20 years when they closed that store. Do you have a Hobby Lobby nearby? I hope they are able to expand. Nicer quality fabric and a 40% off coupon that you can use on any item, even if it is on sale.

Geri B 04-09-2016 05:17 AM

...hmmm, regarding hobby lobby coupon on sale items......I thought couldn't use. Like if fab is 30% off, cannot also use coupon....I may be wrong.

PolkaBabe 04-09-2016 05:21 AM

We here in eastern IOWA started back in Feb. We were a part of the first wave. I worked on Thurs & cut fleece for almost 2 hours straight. Of course ours is currently at 80% on the fleece, makes a big difference. I see a lot gone every week that I go in. This is sad for all of us. Most without jobs. I have been blessed & have found one & will be in my 4th week come Mon.

Linda Renfro 04-09-2016 05:37 AM

Our local newspaper had an article in it yesterday about Hancock's closing. They went on to say that the new owner is known for buying up failing businesses and jacking up the prices then giving the discount of 20% or whatever, when really it's not a discount at all. I don't know if this is true or not, but it was in the newspaper...so I thought I would pass it along. I guess that's where that saying comes in BUYERS BEWARE.

Here is the article from the paperBe wary of Hancock Fabrics' closeout 'deals'
#spacechicken
Jeremy Cox, [email protected] 4:31 p.m. EDT April 7, 2016
290 Shares facebook sharetwitter shareemail shareemail share
Scissors, pins and fabric scraps.Buy Photo

Scissors, pins and fabric scraps. (Photo: Staff photo by Jay Diem)

Bad news for people who like to make their own clothes: Hancock Fabrics is going out of business and closing all of its stores, including its Salisbury location.

The good news? The retailer is liquidating its merchandise online and at its remaining 185 retail stores, including its location in the Twilley Centre off Mount Hermon Road. Right now, that means "savings" on everything of 20-50 percent, which will only get deeper as the sell-off continues.

I say "savings" because they're not really discounting much of anything yet. The Consumerist has the details, but basically the new owner is notorious for buying ailing retail brands (such as Circuit City and Ritz Camera), jacking up the prices, slashing the higher prices and calling it a sale.

DELMARVA DAILY TIMES

slbram17 04-09-2016 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 7518620)
...hmmm, regarding hobby lobby coupon on sale items......I thought couldn't use. Like if fab is 30% off, cannot also use coupon....I may be wrong.

My hobby lobby would not let me use the 40 percent coupon on fabric since it is already marked down 30 percent. And I did ask if they staff could mark down regular price in order for me to take advantage of the 40 percent. A lot of posters say that have been able to do that, but it just depends.

slbram17 04-09-2016 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Linda Renfro (Post 7518633)
Our local newspaper had an article in it yesterday about Hancock's closing. They went on to say that the new owner is known for buying up failing businesses and jacking up the prices then giving the discount of 20% or whatever, when really it's not a discount at all. I don't know if this is true or not, but it was in the newspaper...so I thought I would pass it along. I guess that's where that saying comes in BUYERS BEWARE.

Here is the article from the paperBe wary of Hancock Fabrics' closeout 'deals'
#spacechicken
Jeremy Cox, [email protected] 4:31 p.m. EDT April 7, 2016
290 Shares facebook sharetwitter shareemail shareemail share
Scissors, pins and fabric scraps.Buy Photo

Scissors, pins and fabric scraps. (Photo: Staff photo by Jay Diem)

Bad news for people who like to make their own clothes: Hancock Fabrics is going out of business and closing all of its stores, including its Salisbury location.

The good news? The retailer is liquidating its merchandise online and at its remaining 185 retail stores, including its location in the Twilley Centre off Mount Hermon Road. Right now, that means "savings" on everything of 20-50 percent, which will only get deeper as the sell-off continues.

I say "savings" because they're not really discounting much of anything yet. The Consumerist has the details, but basically the new owner is notorious for buying ailing retail brands (such as Circuit City and Ritz Camera), jacking up the prices, slashing the higher prices and calling it a sale.

DELMARVA DAILY TIMES

There's a lot of posts about this. The liquidator had the highest bid for Hancocks inventory (assets) and the use of the Hancocks name. From what I am getting, the discount is off the list price. Regular shoppers of Hancocks are somewhat surprised that the prices are higher today than they were two weeks ago. I will miss Hancocks. I will check again to see if they price has come down on heavier weight material that I use to make slipcovers but last time (just a few days ago), it was still running over $15 a yard.
http://www.scrapbookupdate.com/2016/...s-liquidating/

slbram17 04-09-2016 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by PolkaBabe (Post 7518624)
We here in eastern IOWA started back in Feb. We were a part of the first wave. I worked on Thurs & cut fleece for almost 2 hours straight. Of course ours is currently at 80% on the fleece, makes a big difference. I see a lot gone every week that I go in. This is sad for all of us. Most without jobs. I have been blessed & have found one & will be in my 4th week come Mon.

Sorry for the loss of so many jobs...that's the very dark side of this.

quiltingshorttimer 04-09-2016 07:17 PM

Well--perhaps it was marked up, but the store I went to said it was closed one day only to prepare--and the bolts I pulled out had the original price tags on them and the clerk used that to take the price to discount off of. Whether they upped prices on items like sewing machines, etc, hard to say. I do know that the Accuquilt die I looked at was the same price as found on line and the 20% off was nice. Since I usually use Hancock coupons on purchases and gauge fabric so I can use them, the 20% off wasn't huge--but I was able to buy LOTS of items and spend quite a bit less--more than the coupons would have given me.
I am so sorry about people losing jobs--had just been in about a week before this and an older lady was saying how nice it was to work there and be able to walk to work since they only have one car. from what I was told the investors that Hancock's had planned on helping them get out of bankruptcy backed out last minute.
I don't shop Hobby Lobby for personal reasons, and the closest Joanne's has a snarky manager and they really need many more workers. I can get to another Joanne's,but just not as convenient. Mostly I buy from the LQS or on line--but I'm a tactile person and like to touch my fabric first!