Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Heads Up: Virus on Pinterest (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/heads-up-virus-pinterest-t291972.html)

Jo Anne B. 10-19-2017 07:34 AM

Heads Up: Virus on Pinterest

While looking at Holiday table runners last night I got the alert of a malware.
It is an offer for a free pattern when you click to download the free pattern is when the alert pops up.
The table runner has a green outer border or binding, red/white half square triangle inner border the center is a vertical Ho-Ho-Ho. Really is pretty cute, too bad it is infected.
Hope this helps!
Going to be a beautiful Fall-Summer type of day here think I get outside!!

ArtsyOne 10-19-2017 08:38 AM

Thanks for the heads-up!

Chester the bunny 10-19-2017 08:51 AM

I had something similar happen where a screen popped up and a voice said something about the computer being frozen and to call the "Microsoft" phone number on the screen. Could not shut down the page, could not open any other page to see how to get rid of this. Called the number and got suspicious when the person wanted to access my computer so I hung up. Called the local computer company and was told it a scam.
So for the non computer savvy quilters out there (if there are others, other than me)
Push Ctrl/alt/delete
Select Task Manager
Select the internet/microsoft icon
Select end task

cashs_mom 10-19-2017 09:09 AM

Yes, thanks for letting us know about this. I'm sure you're grateful for your antivirus software that saved you.

Garden Gnome 10-19-2017 10:41 AM

Chester the Bunny, thanks for the instructions on getting out of an invasive page. I have had that happen several times, and I don't remember from one time to the next how I got out.

misspriss 10-20-2017 04:44 AM

I have had that also and didn't know how to get out so I just left it alone and I guess who ever they are, got tired of waiting and cleared out.

Evelynquilts 10-20-2017 05:18 AM

Thank you for the warning and how to get out !!!

Geri B 10-20-2017 05:32 AM

Hmm, I recd a notice from Pinterest today that someone using an android device logged in using my info....and if it was me ok, if not it is recommended I change my password on the site...I only use iPad for Pinterest, so I guess I better change that password...but first have to figure out how..as dd daughter set it up for me!

MarleneC 10-20-2017 09:42 AM

When this happened to me my tech says to shut down the computer and run Malwarebytes.

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny (Post 7927516)
I had something similar happen where a screen popped up and a voice said something about the computer being frozen and to call the "Microsoft" phone number on the screen. Could not shut down the page, could not open any other page to see how to get rid of this. Called the number and got suspicious when the person wanted to access my computer so I hung up. Called the local computer company and was told it a scam.
So for the non computer savvy quilters out there (if there are others, other than me)
Push Ctrl/alt/delete
Select Task Manager
Select the internet/microsoft icon
Select end task

Jo Anne B. 10-20-2017 02:10 PM

DH is the Tech geek between the 2 of us, I get to hand over the suspect items over to him. He did run a virus scan and it did detect it.
Chesters instructions seem simple enough I should be able to handle those steps. Thank you!!