Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Help for would be FMQ's (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/help-would-fmqs-t176410.html)

feffertim 01-21-2012 08:52 AM

Help for would be FMQ's

Saw this at a quilt expo this weekend and was quite impressed. If you can't afford or don't have room for a long arm, this is a good alternative. Only $130. There is a really good video on the website, worth watching. www.flynnquilt.com
I am not affiliated in any way

Sunnye 01-21-2012 01:04 PM

Do you have one? If so, how is it?

patimint 01-21-2012 01:22 PM

Wow, that is sew neat. After watching the video, I am thinking about buying one. I don't machine quilt (yet) but I think this frame would make it easier to learn and since it can also be used for hand quilting, what do I have to loose? Thanks for the info.

skowron5 01-21-2012 01:35 PM

I have his old version that needs to be set up on a table and you move your sewing machine. It works great. This would be alot easier on the back. I have to stand and move my machine back and forth. I am thinking of getting one of these.

loves_2_quilt 01-21-2012 05:24 PM

I am putting this on my "wish list"!

pflum1 01-22-2012 06:33 AM

I have one and it's O. K. for small wall hangings, but I don't care for it on larger sizes. You have to have a big table for the frame to roll on the PVC pipe. It take a little practices in order to use it. Also, be sure to hold your hands upside down on the bottom of the frame.

Glenda m 01-22-2012 07:10 AM

Looks like a sale here. Now..do I take it out of the money I'm saving to get the kitchen floor done or ask for this for my birthday? Hmmm..Birthday is the 26th, so will shoot for that. Wish me luck!!! LOL

KathieS 01-22-2012 08:01 AM

Awkward

After watching the video, my impression is that the concept is good, but the delivery system could use more work. It reminds me of a kid's science project, a makeshift attempt, not a market salable item at this stage. Looking at the mish mash of inexpensive components, I definitely would not pay the $150.00 price for this unit. Just my opinion !

feffertim 01-22-2012 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by feffertim (Post 4896021)
Saw this at a quilt expo this weekend and was quite impressed. If you can't afford or don't have room for a long arm, this is a good alternative. Only $130. There is a really good video on the website, worth watching. www.flynnquilt.com
I am not affiliated in any way

Sorry, it was on sale at the show, but is $150 on the site. Still a bargain in my eyes.

Jannie 01-22-2012 11:25 AM

The same problem with this set up as with any small long arm quilt frame. The harp of the machine limits how much real space you really have for quilting. Every time you roll the quilt the space gets smaller. Pretty soon you only have 3-5 inches of quilting space. I was sold on a small frame and when I first used it realized the limitations. I wished the guy had the set still in his shop. If you plan on only doing wall hangings or small quilts, this set up might be duoable.