Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   How many Quilt Magazines is enough?? Am I a Hoarder?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/how-many-quilt-magazines-enough-am-i-hoarder-t247190.html)

Ellageo 05-22-2014 03:10 AM

How many Quilt Magazines is enough?? Am I a Hoarder??

I've had as many as 6 subscriptions come at once, and as few as...none! I am back & forth all the time! When I don't have any, or many coming..I see one at the store & but it for 2x the price of subscriptions!
Then, what may be worse than that is..I cannot throw them away!! I have a hard time giving them away..and I do realize , I have more quilts & projects that I want to make, than their are hours in a day. Am I a hoarder???
Which magazines are your favorites and why??

nygal 05-22-2014 03:38 AM

I like the Quilt Sampler that is out a few times a year sold only on the newsstands. I use to subscribe to ALL of the quilt magazines but not anymore. I did recently subscribe to BLOCK. I will get it for awhile but not forever.

PaperPrincess 05-22-2014 03:53 AM

I have bad luck with subscriptions. I see a magazine I like at the news stand. It has several patterns I really like. I wait and when the next issue comes out, I look at it again. Wow, more great quilts. I order a subscription and it seems like none of the issues I get has anything of interest. I've reverted to just buying single issues with quilts that catch my eye. Fortunately, I have quilting friends & relatives I can give uninteresting (to me) issues to.

KrissyD. 05-22-2014 04:10 AM

I'm getting the Block & Fons & Porter right now , but I think I am a fabric & Magazine Hoarder . A room FULL of fabrics ( well over 2-3,000 fabrics ) & OVER 1,000 magazines .

homebody323 05-22-2014 04:34 AM

There is no such thing as too many quilt magazines. I seldom buy one anymore, but I do pull from my stash and re-explore an issue from years gone by. My taste and skill level continue to change and I'm amazed that something that offered no excitement 5 years ago suddenly is new and exciting. If you feel guilty about having them around - scan them. If not - revisit them periodically.
Happy Stitching

toverly 05-22-2014 04:44 AM

I have a F&P subscription and I enjoy reading it but I seldom make anything from it. I usually see patterns online and "figure it out, my way". I have made the most from Quilt magazine picked up at the free table at Guild. I enjoy watching the newstand for the new magazines. Like searching for Easter eggs while shopping. I especially like to dive into a new magazine while in waiting rooms, I bring my own.

maryb119 05-22-2014 03:47 PM

I had years of back issues of quilting magazines and finally made myself go thru them all. I kept the patterns I wanted to keep and gave the rest to my DD and my BFF so they could take what they wanted. I ran out of room to store them all.

ging10ging 05-22-2014 04:05 PM

I get Block and F&P right now. I used to get a bunch but it seems when I see them on the news stand they have patterns I like then the subscription doesn't always have anything altho lately they have had articles on how to do the quilting which sometimes helps. I like you have more than I'll ever have a chance to do. I'm thinking now it is better to buy the book when I see something I like. It's just like the fabric just a different stash. Good luck deciding what to do. Sue

Debbie C 05-23-2014 02:57 AM

I stay away from magazines, but use my local library for quilt ideas. Even though I have room to store magazines and journals, I'd rather use that room for more fabric!! lol!!

JoyceHoopes 05-23-2014 07:26 AM

I've got dozens of binders full of magazines and well over 500 books (just the quilting ones). My problem is once I start a series, I want all of them from the very first issue. Recently Fons and Porter put out a series of disks with their magazines. I've got them now (so much less space and so easy to locate a particular pattern). Now I'm giving away the magazines; it just leaves some space for books or more fabric. Not that I NEED any more of either but..... Joyce in Delaware