Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   I Bought A Singer One Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/i-bought-singer-one-sewing-machine-t272829.html)

IrishgalfromNJ 11-30-2015 12:03 PM

I Bought A Singer One Sewing Machine

1 Attachment(s)
I saw the Singer One last week and I had to have it. I love the shape of it and I couldn't resist. I bought the cheaper model with 24 stitches because I have three other machines with lots of decorative stitches so I didn't need more stitches. I bought this as a back up machine, just in case. I bought it at Joann.com and paid $249.00 with free shipping. Today the price is $209.00 at Joann.com. I think this would make a good beginner sewing machine because the price is right, it easy to use, and the manual is really well written.

This is not a quilting machine, it's just a general sewing machine. It does buttonholes, sews zippers, blind hems, and has decorative stitches. It has a lovely drop in bobbin with a clear bobbin cover plate so you can see when you are running low on bobbin thread. The stitches are easy to change with the touch of a button. The machine is substantial, but not too heavy to lift, it has a handle in the top that folds down, and the work space is really large.

The feed dogs on this machine do not drop. I can't do any free motion darning or quilting with this machine unless I cover the feed dogs. It does do satin stitching. It also lacks a needle up/down button (you have to use the hand wheel to adjust the needle).

I had a chance to play with it the other day. It was kind of loud but it was easy to use and the tension was perfect right out of the box.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536764[/ATTACH]

ro 11-30-2015 12:14 PM

looks nice. but remember when you purchase one of these inexpensive machines they are what I refer to a "throw aways." to get it cleaned is at least $100 and repair is $100 just to look at it. so you might have to make a decision there. but enjoy it while you can.

DonnaC 11-30-2015 01:00 PM

Congrats on your purchase! I have the Singer One Plus model as a backup machine. It's a pretty sweet little gal, and I actually like sewing on the curved surface because everything glides nicely. I hope you have many hours of enjoyment sewing on it. Play and have fun!

P.S. I think maybe ro needs another cup of coffee today.... :) Just sayin'.

Stitchnripper 11-30-2015 01:09 PM

Have fun with your new machine. Also I don't drop my feed dogs to FMQ so maybe give yours a try by setting the stitch length to zero. It might surprise you!!

Onebyone 11-30-2015 01:19 PM

Congratulations! A new sewing machine is fun. I don't consider a $250 machine a throwaway by any means. And for a backup machine it will last a long time. I've seen several quilters at workshops bringing this machine. They never seemed to have any problems with them at all.

NiaJane 11-30-2015 02:54 PM

That is so cute! I bet you'll get your moneys worth out of it. :thumbup:
I have a little Singer Stylist that I really enjoy.
Congratulations!

KalamaQuilts 11-30-2015 03:07 PM

Happy Daze! I'm sure you will love it.

Rumbols 12-01-2015 03:57 AM

My hubby go me the black version last year for Christmas in a black Friday deal for 199.99. It has the same stitches and options as yours, the cover is the only difference. I love it for piecing and general sewing. Keeps me going when the other machines are in the shop. Congrats, you will love it.:)

marymay 12-01-2015 04:41 AM

I Love Singer
I have the limited addition when it 1st came out. Its Black. Love it.

toverly 12-01-2015 04:51 AM

Cute machine, I think that curved sewing surface is a great idea. Enjoy your new toy!