Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Inexpensive Kits (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/inexpensive-kits-t268436.html)

Sandygirl 08-06-2015 02:47 AM

Inexpensive Kits

I have been collecting the Row By Row kits. I have around ten, so far. I have found them affordable and many stretch your skills. Prices have run from $9.95-$24.95 . The more expensive ones include embellishments such as trims or buttons. I view each one as a fun project that I can usually complete in an evening or two. Very doable. They make great table runners and wall hangings. Will mine become a quilt? I am sure of it but I am not in a mindst to get it done to win any prize. I also think that they would make a nice secret santa gift or whatever. Many reflect the local history surrounding the shop. If you have not participated in any way, I would check out your favorite shops.

sandy

thimblebug6000 08-06-2015 05:04 PM

I have had fun collecting patterns and enough fabric to make almost 3 quilts.... so far... I didn't start with the kits because I thought the 36" finished row size was too small.... but...I have been watching FB and see many quilters adding a block or two to each row. It was a fun way to add many kilometers to our visit to Manitoba.

Beachbaby12 08-07-2015 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl (Post 7278452)
I have been collecting the Row By Row kits. I have around ten, so far. I have found them affordable and many stretch your skills. Prices have run from $9.95-$24.95 . The more expensive ones include embellishments such as trims or buttons. I view each one as a fun project that I can usually complete in an evening or two. Very doable. They make great table runners and wall hangings. Will mine become a quilt? I am sure of it but I am not in a mindst to get it done to win any prize. I also think that they would make a nice secret santa gift or whatever. Many reflect the local history surrounding the shop. If you have not participated in any way, I would check out your favorite shops.

sandy

I agree. I have also been collecting the Row by Row kits. With some, I just got the pattern if I wasn't crazy about the row. So far I finished two rows and just started the third row. I am not trying to win a prize either but would sure would consider it an accomplishment to finish this quilt! I'd encourage all to check it out as well. The website is www.rowbyrowexperience.com and all the states participate including Canada.

meanmom 08-07-2015 04:40 AM

I have collected several. I have one fused and I am trying to decide what embellishments to add to it. There are several that are too far away that I really want and have been looking for someone to send them to me. I did have one sent from 3 1/2 hours from me. It is a fun thing, just wish i didn't have to wait until November to get a couple of them.
I too have some where I buy the kit and some where I only get the pattern. I would love to trade with people.

ManiacQuilter2 08-07-2015 04:42 AM

No quilt store nearby me (not into primitive fabrics) and since I don't drive, my favorite quilt shops are over 30 miles away. :(

youngduncan 08-07-2015 07:25 AM

I have about twenty-five patterns from last year's Row by Row. This summer, however, I will not be travelling as much, so I have only two patterns from a couple of shops I frequent. From the pictures I've seen, though, I really, really wish I could collect quite a few of the patterns. Sigh!

calla 08-07-2015 08:40 AM

I have also had buyers remorse with a couple of kits. Shrug, I was caught up in the moment.......but I did support my LQS. The mermaid pattern from Ohio is super but I have been informed with the beading kit it is too pricey for me.......calla I am pleased I do have the Grand Hotel, and a great Woodduck......

Homemother 08-07-2015 03:10 PM

I love the Row by Row Experience! I made a quilt last year (we were traveling so I was able to pick up lots of rows) but so far this year I am only collecting the patterns. I agree with Sandygirl, the rows reflect the history in the local area. They are all so interesting. It is worth your time to stop in and greet the ladies in the quilt shop and talk about the excitement surrounding the Rows. You will be inspired by the shop owners, their staff, the displays, the entire environment! Some advice: check out the patterns for the shops on facebook before you go out of your way to stop into a shop just to get the row. Make sure you like it! LOL, I have a few that are definitely not my style. Over all, it's such a nice program. Maybe next year we will be traveling in July or August! You know, it takes lots of restraint to pick up only the pattern and not buy the kit. Good luck!!!

P-BurgKay 08-07-2015 07:05 PM

I have been collecting this year to date, I have 35 from 3 states. Plan on making wall hangings or table runners, not for their shop contest, I may even make a quilt out of some of them. Lots of fun.

Sandygirl 08-08-2015 02:32 AM

I need to stop collecting! I am afraid to count them now.

Sandy