Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Jelly roll rug? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/jelly-roll-rug-t298003.html)

Geri B 07-02-2018 10:29 AM

Jelly roll rug?

Has anyone done this? I just watched a video on YouTube by Jordan fabrics.......first my touchy BL would not take the bulk of those strops! Second: is it really worth all the work? I wonder how the sewing thread would take the wear and tear...... Like she said at the end...placemats, trivets, tablerunner might e more practical.....btw...I have a no touchy Viking and singer!

Tartan 07-02-2018 10:47 AM

My friend did one and it is lovely however she said her muscles were sore for 2 days from wrestling it through her machine.

SusieQOH 07-02-2018 12:19 PM

I just got the pattern from Etsy. It's not the oval one- it's rectangular. Wish me luck!!
Coincidentally, I got that email this morning from Jordan's. I plan to watch it later.

SusieQOH 07-02-2018 05:42 PM

For some reason I can't access the Jordan video. It's a blank screen

toverly 07-03-2018 03:59 AM

I just saw one of these on a shop hop to Nashville. The shop was selling what looked like jelly rolls of batting to use in them. I didn't investigate further but the sample rug they made was beautiful. It reminded me of the rope baskets but flat. I too wondered if it would wash.

Aunt Annie 07-03-2018 04:20 AM

I made one. Have it beside my bed. Call it my prayer rug! My husband loves it, too. I bought a jelly roll on sale from Craftsy for under $15. Used leftover batting. Want to make more. Several other ladies tried making one and had problems with them turning into a bowl.

meanmom 07-03-2018 04:51 AM

Thanks for the link. I have been thinking about making one.

sewnclog 07-03-2018 05:31 AM

Our sewing club instructor had a demo on it and hers came out curvy too; the trick she discovered is to NOT pull or push it but let the machine do the work; otherwise it will get curvy. I have the pattern to make one too.

DonnaC 07-03-2018 10:23 AM

I guess these are the newest "big thing" right now huh? I just watched a different video on YouTube, and there is a somewhat ... shall we say... spirited discussion going on about whether the pattern can be copyrighted. Actually it seems just like the coiled fabric bowls I have made in the past, just keeping it flat instead of tilting the roll so that it forms into a shape. And some enterprising company (Bosal, I believe) has started selling the rolls of 2.5" batting so that you can make them with jelly rolls. My local shop has also scheduled a class on the rugs. Funny how must-have items and newly-discovered techniques just keep circling around and around.... :)

CanukNana 07-03-2018 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH (Post 8086786)
For some reason I can't access the Jordan video. It's a blank screen

Likewise here