Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   MSQC Block Magazine, 3rd issue (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/msqc-block-magazine-3rd-issue-t249172.html)

nancysp 06-28-2014 05:17 AM

MSQC Block Magazine, 3rd issue

Maybe I missed it but haven't seen any comments on the third magazine yet. It's still a beautiful publication but I'm not sure I will keep my subscription. I initially loved the idea of no ads. In fact, my initial thought was to let my other quilt magazine subscriptions lapse. Now I realize that I get as much out of the ads as I do out of the rest of the magazine . . . new fabrics, new thread, new machines. More like a wish book. I also think the quilt patterns are pretty basic, beginner level and I like to dream about challenging myself to do bigger and better things.

There's one pattern in the new magazine that intrigued me. I read through the instructions and didn't find them very clear. I'm sure I can find an online tutorial to help, but I realized that when I read through instructions in my Fons and Porter magazine, I get a much clearer picture of the skill level and time involved. Really, I would say the block magazine is mostly a "pattern book" to go along with the tutorials. I appreciate that because it gives measurements, etc and you have a book to refer to, but there really isn't anything new. I love MSQC and order often from them, perhaps this particular magazine just isn't for me.

Curious what others think.

Arcy 06-28-2014 06:01 AM

I loved this issue of Block! The magazine seems to be getting better with each issue. Maybe this time Block has more patterns that I would actually make. Like you, nancysp, I do love to look at the ads in other magazines but Block is 'just quilting' with clear instructions and it is comforting to know there is a video online if needed.

This magazine is going to kick start my quilting after a long hiatus.

Ms Kay 06-28-2014 06:57 AM

I wasn't that excited about this issue either.

quilttiger 06-29-2014 03:18 AM

The 3rd issue arrived the other day, and it was fun looking through the patterns, stories/commentaries and the beautiful photos. This magazine is a keeper!

coopah 06-29-2014 03:34 AM

i made the charm pack tumbler bag yesterday and it turned out great! I used stash and the pattern included in the book. I did go to the tutorial, but only because I needed the reassurance that I was doing things correctly. I've created my own bags without patterns, but took a class for a bag and lost my mojo for bag making. The magazine helped! I would have easily spent as much or more just for the bag pattern. I enjoy the magazine and if I get one pattern, it's paid for itself. The presentation is excellent and I enjoy no ads!

abdconsultant 06-29-2014 04:25 AM

I'm happy with this issue.

msrosecooks 06-29-2014 04:49 AM

The 3rd issue wasn't all that exciting, in my opinion. Wondering if I will keep my subscription......

snow 06-29-2014 04:58 AM

I love the 3rd issue i can't wait for the next one and i like the ideal you can go to you tube and fine help if needed. No I don't miss the ads either.

Melinda in Tulsa 06-29-2014 08:00 AM

I will definitely be keeping my subscription. Even if there is only one project that cranks my tractor, at $5.99 it's cheaper than buying one pattern. Not only that, the projects that don't do anything for me today, just might be my passion next year. I've dropped all subscriptions except BLOCK.

grandme26 06-29-2014 11:21 AM

Received #3 Friday but did not have a chance to look thru it until today while my house cleaner was here. Love it.