Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   New tute from MSQC (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/new-tute-msqc-t237583.html)

zennia 12-29-2013 04:50 AM

Several years ago I made a :bulls eye: quilt using this raw edge technique. when washed it frayed the raw edges just a little. It gives a nice comfy soft look to it.

Geri B 12-29-2013 05:12 AM

Yes, it is raw edge piecing.....the attaching seam should be 1/8" from pinked edge of smaller square...so when washed-----do first wash at local laundromat unless you want to possibly clog pipes!--- it will fray slightly. A few yrs ago there was another pattern offered by someone doing layered, sliced circles the dame way. Of track......I, of course wanted to order the whole thing after watching the tute.....disappointed.....MSQC out of large ruler, small one has not yet been produced........book and fab available, so I did not complete order.........

I am going to try cutting my own charms using the wavy blade for the rotary cutter...anyone try it? And make my own L template thingy......I guess I was a bit disappointed in MSQS showing the tute without having sufficient inventory....sidebar..I did order the winter edition of her mag...last one to be published I understand....used my "points" from previous purchases

Dodie 12-29-2013 10:24 AM

raw edge applique has been around for a long time I always really like it with the reproduction fabrics too I think one of them was called the bulls eye quilt I do like the Kansas Troubles fabrics also and they are so easy to work with enjoy your kit you may really like it when you finish

trolleystation 12-29-2013 11:00 AM

I was wondering about the bulk of double fabric in the center. I will have to try one and see what happens. I wonder if the double fabric would be difficult to FMQ over.

Dodie 12-29-2013 12:43 PM

I don't have any trouble quilting over thickness like that but my favorite batt is Hobbs 80/20 I never use that real fat batt as I feel that is more for tied quilts maybe just my opinion just use proper size needle and should be no problem my favorite needle to machine quilt with is the top stitch size 14 again my opinion but works for me

quiltqueen61 12-30-2013 05:54 AM

love the block idea....but not the idea of having to buy another ruler....can you do it with a regular ruler???

MeLuvQuilts 12-30-2013 06:43 AM

This was great - thanks!

Geri B 12-30-2013 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by quiltqueen61 (Post 6481538)
love the block idea....but not the idea of having to buy another ruler....can you do it with a regular ruler???

Let's see how would we do that....at center..half of charm is 2 1/2" and L/C is 5 1/2".. So C is laid on top of L/C the border of L/C left would be 3"? So that is what would have to be measured by a ruler....how about a piece of cardboard cut into that L shape? Down to the "lab"!!!!!!!

mjhaess 12-30-2013 01:50 PM

That is neat looking..thanks...

ube quilting 12-30-2013 02:35 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the new tute. Very nice.
peace