Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Plastic bagged magazines? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/plastic-bagged-magazines-t291171.html)

Geri B 09-14-2017 06:20 AM

Plastic bagged magazines?

Went to Joann fab yesterday. Haven't been there in a long time, and haven't purchased a magazine in quite awhile either. My surprise was most of the mags are now sealed in a plastic bag-some with "free premiums"-yeah sure- cost of mag $14.99! Others just bagged...well, I did not buy any....I liked to flip thru to see what's inside before I invest....not sight unseen buyer! I really didn't need a mag either...more ads than anything else. Just was surprised at the new way of marketing, I guess.

Tartan 09-14-2017 06:32 AM

I haven't bought a magazine since that stopped publishing Quilter's Newsletter Magazine. It always had good articles and patterns. Now there is so much on the net, I don't bother. I also do not care for sealed magazines.

sewbizgirl 09-14-2017 06:45 AM

I guess it's to stop the magazines from getting shopworn by people thumbing through them. I don't buy sight unseen, either.

jokir44 09-14-2017 07:10 AM

I don't like it either but I understand it better since I saw a woman taking pictures of patterns with her phone.

Geri B 09-14-2017 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by jokir44 (Post 7905987)
I don't like it either but I understand it better since I saw a woman taking pictures of patterns with her phone.

Wow! I would never have thought of doing that......but that's me....now I can understand the why, but it's a shame that all has to change for a few!

bearisgray 09-14-2017 10:01 AM

Possible reasons for encasing magazines in plastic:

1) So they don't get looking shopworn from people looking through them without buying them (I admit - I am "one of those people" - especially for the gossip magazines near the checkout counters)

2) So none of the inserts get lost

3) To discourage people from flipping through them to see if there really is something of interest in them

4) Maybe there is something "naughty" in them like there is in the skin magazines?

cashs_mom 09-14-2017 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7906094)
Possible reasons for encasing magazines in plastic:

1) So they don't get looking shopworn from people looking through them without buying them (I admit - I am "one of those people" - especially for the gossip magazines near the checkout counters)

2) So none of the inserts get lost

3) To discourage people from flipping through them to see if there really is something of interest in them

4) Maybe there is something "naughty" in them like there is in the skin magazines?

I didn't know Joann's was going in for "naughty" magazines now. I guess I really don't pay attention to the magazines when I'm checking out. :D

nativetexan 09-14-2017 12:33 PM

sometimes you find one mag with out the bag, for perusing.

KalamaQuilts 09-14-2017 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by jokir44 (Post 7905987)

I've seen it too. I don't blame any magazines for doing this. If you knew everything in it why buy it?

toverly 09-14-2017 01:18 PM

I don't purchase sealed magazines either. I like to go to the preview page or the page in the back where you can order kits to see what's in the magazine without flipping thru it. I understand the practice but don't like it.