Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Quilt Canada 2017 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/quilt-canada-2017-a-t288888.html)

Butters2013 06-11-2017 07:15 PM

Quilt Canada 2017

Hi,

Quilt Canada 2017 starts this week. I'm new to quilting so have never been before. I don't plan on taking workshops, just thought I would visit vendor booths and see what's available to quilters. Has anyone ever been? Are the prices better at the show better than the shops? How does it compare to the Quilt Market in the U.S.?

Since I started quilting i fell in love with Moda fabrics and their designers such as Bonnie and Camille. I also love Riley Blake and other manufactures I've been having a hard time finding in local quilt ships. Is there a wide variety of fabrics at the show?

Sassylass 06-12-2017 03:05 AM

I have been to Quilt Canada and to be honest, I would rather go to local quilts shows. Be prepared to do a lot of walking and take bottled water with you, some ladies had (a lot) had their own lunches with them Another thing to do is take a wheeled carrier.makes it easier to carry your purchases.
Yes, there is a variety of fabrics, you will find Lens Mills there too. All in all prices vary from booth to booth..
Go, have fun and enjoy the day..

GingerK 06-12-2017 04:27 AM

It is going to be quite a show!! But as Sassylass said, bring water (and even your lunch because food seemed quite expensive last year). You can exit and re-enter the show with a hand stamp, so you can always take stuff to your vehicle instead of carrying it all day. Tickets are a little cheaper prepaid online. The Convention center on Airport Road is easy to get to and has a huge amount of free parking. Lens Mill is advertising that their prices will be at least 20% less than in their stores. Lots of vendors with lots of new/different products plus all the wonderful quilty eye candy. Last year, there was no problem with taking pictures but be sure to ask first just in case the rules have changed.

MaryKatherine 06-12-2017 04:57 AM

Why would you hesitate to attend a World Class Show? Yes there will be a lot of quilt styles and exhibits you wouldn't normally see at a local show. But your old favourites are there as well. This is a big, combined show in connection with 150 Anniversary. Yes, take water and snacks. Expect something different. Enjoy!

GEMRM 06-12-2017 04:57 AM

My friends and I really enjoyed the show last year and are planning to go this year too. I always enjoy looking at quilts, vendors are always interesting and last year we really enjoyed the small session demos held right in the vendor area. It gives us a chance to see vendors that aren't local to us, and the quilts are inspiring and amazing. Since this show changes locations, usually each year, 2018 it is being held in British Columbia, so this year is my last chance for awhile.
We stay at a hotel nearby that is walking distance to the show, and we pack small lunches as well as taking a bottle of water each.

craftdiva 06-13-2017 03:54 AM

You will have a great time. So many people from all parts of Canada and the U.S. come to see the show. Last year I took several classes and ended up there for all 4 days. Loved it. You will see lines of fabric that will be coming out later in the year as well as great fabric right now. Lots of demos. I like that there are vendors there that I don't usually have easy access to. The quilt show itself is awesome. Great that we have this opportunity. Enjoy-but wear comfortable shoes:)