Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   R U a new quilter or one that hates doing the Math? Look at this! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/r-u-new-quilter-one-hates-doing-math-look-t193583.html)

seasaw2mch 07-04-2012 07:45 AM

R U a new quilter or one that hates doing the Math? Look at this!

I was looking for a 10 1/2" square ruler but ran into this website and just had to share it. I thinks it's pretty cool for those who aren't so sure of themselves when it comes to the math part of things and it's also good for those of us in a hurry not wanting to let the math part slow us down. Check it out for yourself and see what you think.

http://www.guidelines4quilting.com/

Have a great day!
Sue

PS if you know where I can find a 10 1/2 " square ruler (other then the "Omnigrip") please let me know, thanks!

DebraK 07-04-2012 07:52 AM

seems rather complicated to me, but it was fun to watch ;-)
Goes to show we all approach things differently. I love that aspect of quilting!

seasaw2mch 07-04-2012 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK (Post 5338168)
seems rather complicated to me, but it was fun to watch ;-)
Goes to show we all approach things differently. I love that aspect of quilting!

I do to but I've read on some of the pages here where different ones wouldn't tackle projects because of their inability to figure out the math, that's why I put this here. Hopefully it will get them stared and from there they can feel more successful and maybe try doing the figuring on their own.

barri1 07-04-2012 08:22 AM

I have a couple of rulers, but discovered if you are using it as a template, you can go to Lowes, and they will cut plexiglass for free.. You pay for the piece, and they will cut it to what ever size you want.. I think I paid less than $10 for a bunch of different sizes.. They work perfectly.. but they don't have the markings..

DeneK 07-04-2012 08:26 AM

I thought this looked great. Bought the system. Used it a couple of times, but found it awkward and not necessarily fool proof. It is in my tool chest and I will probably try it again, but don't know if it will ever be my favorite.

Noiseynana 07-05-2012 04:26 AM

seesaw2mch , I googled " 10 1/2 inch square ruler " and there is a few pages of info. Might try there.

SueSew 07-05-2012 04:38 AM

Thanks for posting. It looks like it works, very clever, but I am always checking on my measurements (measure 3 times cut once!) and I think the 'net out' approach that ruler system uses would make it hard for me to check myself. The only time I have had trouble is measuring a long piece of fabric and having to put two rulers together and making sure I didn't have one ruler with full-inch and one with half-inch - but I double check that with a tape measure before I cut.

Hey, whatever works to get your job done is what you should do.

Julie in NM 07-05-2012 04:42 AM

IMHO, why JUST 10.5 ruler? I use my 15"...I think it's 15 all the time. Rulers I grab most freq are the 6.5, 9.5, and the HUGE one. Not to mention the 6*12 and 6*24.

bearisgray 07-05-2012 05:02 AM

Interesting gadget - wonder if it comes with a carrying case to keep all the pieces/parts in? (I tend to misplace things)

As I've become more proficient, I think I use fewer 'gadgets' - It seems like more of a bother to find them than to 'make do' with what is handy.

craftymatt2 07-05-2012 08:18 AM

Well, this is nice, but i happen to have an architect for a son, and he has acess to a lazer cutter, (i know a lot of people do not) I call in my sizes to him and he puts it on his laptop and viola, i have all the sizes i want, lucky, i know, this will also put the markings on it that i want, well i need to get something out of that expensive education.
But i do know people that use this company and they say it is well worth the money, so all i can say is try it, you never know till you do