Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Results quilting trends survey 2020. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/results-quilting-trends-survey-2020-a-t316233.html)

Nerys 08-26-2021 11:19 AM

Results quilting trends survey 2020.

Interesting text on quilting trends, consumer behaviour etc.
Scroll down to read text The Average Quilter...
Do you recognize yourself in the description given.
See link https://craftindustryalliance.org/qu...-results-2020/

If anyone knows links of surveys to other sewing related crafts?

Iceblossom 08-26-2021 03:13 PM

I found this fascinating, but I have a bit of a background in statistics and sociology :)

I tend to agree with the posters that felt the selection process for the participants skewed the results quite a bit. That was saying average was "starts" 8-10 quilts per year?? Most of people I consider quilting friends don't do anywhere near that even with their UFOs.

As a side note, I did find the repetitive use of female pronouns to be annoying. While I admit, I use terms like my Tuesday Ladies it is because they are indeed all ladies. If you are going to give me statistics about "quilters" and tell me that the "average quilter is in her 60's" well -- what sort of average is that anyway??

Nerys 08-27-2021 05:20 AM

Yes I agree with you.
The gents where totally forgotten. Some guys do make fantastic quilts. Sometimes I see Youtube videos of male manly quilts.
Would have been nice some statistics info on the regions in USA like south, northeast, midwest etc .
The thing about quilting guilds having less members yes can imagine that.
Some info on generational/family passing down quilts and/or getting younger generations into quilts, learning to quilt ,teaching skills would have been nice info too.

SusieQOH 08-28-2021 06:23 AM

That described me quite well except that I sew a lot more in a week than stated. I probably spend 5+ hours most days.

melissalevi 10-05-2021 11:04 PM

I would be happy if someone has more links related to it.

WMUTeach 10-06-2021 03:36 AM

There are some "flaws" in the information asked and the information gathered. The decline in guild participation could be because many guilds were not meeting because of Covid. The same would apply to more online purchasing of fabric and tools. If the typical age of a quilter is in their 60s, then that group would have likely been more cautious about gathering in large groups or small shops. Small quilt shops and gathering places most likely would not have the financial ability to put in air filtration systems to help with stopping the spread of COVID. The world, our world included, is going to see skewed stats because of COVID.

On the other hand, in general, what they found in their survey is true for me. Sewing primarily from my stash, more online purchases, retired but part-time employed and use sites such as this to gatherer information and to participate in group activities. I spend more than 10 hours per week in quilt related activities, make more than 10 quilts per year, participate in on-line quilt gatherings and spend far less on materials than in the past. Spending less because of less flexible income? Maybe or perhaps I have all the tools and most of the fabric that I need.

Love digging about in surveys looking for information missed or not asked. Fun in a geeky kind of way.

NZquilter 10-06-2021 05:39 AM

I personally would love to see more young people quilting. I always feel so out of place going into LQS. I'm always the only young one, (I'm still in my 20's) and I feel like having kids in tow is frowned upon. It's like the older generation has forgotten that they too were once tied down with kids. Once I was told to hurry up shopping and take the crying baby out. Baby was 3 months old at the time. That's why I do a lot of online shopping and this forum; no one cares if my kids are right behind me and I don't need to fabric shop and carry a carseat too. I think if there were more of my generation sewing and quilting it would become more acceptable. There would also probably be more weekend sewing guild meetings too. I have always wanted to join a group or quilting bee, but the meeting times are always in the middle of the day or in the evenings, right at dinner and bath times for kids. Anyway, that's my two cents worth. Hopefully my generation catches up and we will all quilting when we are retired.

Then again, it was my generation that panicked then social media went down for four hours one day, so who knows how much hope we can have!

SusieQOH 10-07-2021 06:24 AM

I can't believe you would be told to hurry up because you had a crying baby. Good grief! We've all been in your shoes at one time. I used to take my boys everywhere as it was before the internet and they were not always little angels!