Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Rowenta Irons--Good buy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/rowenta-irons-good-buy-t275158.html)

GagaSmith 01-29-2016 12:59 PM

Rowenta Irons--Good buy

For those of you who need a new iron and live near an Ollie's Bargain Outlet check them out.
I bought an 1800 watt Rowenta for $39 today at Ollies in Ithaca, NY, and I had a 15% off coupon. They also had others for $59. Mine is made in Germany, I checked for that.
I don't even need a new iron right now but will put this away for when I do. I don't think I'm likely to find them for that price again.
I'm currently using a Rowenta 1700 watt and love it.

ManiacQuilter2 01-29-2016 01:13 PM

I bought my Rowenta at Ross Store two years ago for $39. Mine is a 1750 and also made in Germany. Just wish it was a little bit lighter.

NJ Quilter 01-30-2016 06:01 AM

For that price/wattage, I'd buy one for stock as well!

mojo11 01-30-2016 07:21 PM

I've had 3 Rowenta irons and every one starting leaking and spitting water after about a year. I don't spend my money on them anymore.

Sandygirl 01-31-2016 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by mojo11 (Post 7451234)
I've had 3 Rowenta irons and every one starting leaking and spitting water after about a year. I don't spend my money on them anymore.

Did you use the correct water? Did you let the iron completely heat up prior to using it? I have not had any issues with my Rowenta. I replaced it two years ago after I literally wore my 20 year old Rowenta out. Every iron has reccommended water to use and all should be allowed to fully heat up.

sandy

Grandma Mary 01-31-2016 05:26 AM

My Rowenta started leaking from where the cord is attached to the base of the iron. I had only had it for 6 months! Now I use a cheap Hamilton Beach iron that has an extra long cord and doesn't turn off for 15 minutes. It even has a little alarm that beeps if it's going to shut off, so I can just reach over and give it a tip. It has been used by dozens of women at three different retreats and still keeps ticking!

duckydo 01-31-2016 06:22 AM

There was a article I read somewhere that came fro Nancy Zieman on leaky spitting irons. She says to use filtered water. Not distilled, filtered, meaning use a brita filter pitcher to filter your water before using it in your iron. Good information.

Onebyone 01-31-2016 08:35 AM

Yes, the iron has to be fully heated before the steam is turned on. That is basic iron instruction we learned in Home Ec class. So sad the Home Ec classes are now taught by teachers that don't know anything about such things.

institches33 01-31-2016 08:59 AM

I bought the Rowenta Steamforce 1800 watts #DW9280 at Ollie's. The irons are reconditioned which doesn't bother me, but many of them are in the wrong boxes so make sure the iron shown on the box is the one in the box. $59.99. My Rowentas never last longer than 2 years so I'm not paying $160 again. This iron lists for $127 on Amazon.

sewnclog 01-31-2016 07:07 PM

I agree with Mojo11; I've had Rowentas too; none have lasted very long for me. Guess I'm "hard on irons". Is that even possible! lol