Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Shipping Charges with Online Store (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/shipping-charges-online-store-t233129.html)

ManiacQuilter2 10-24-2013 05:32 AM

Shipping Charges with Online Store

I haven't had much experience with shopping online. But with my recent move to a less expensive apt, I have a little more money to spend on fabric. I had a recent experience with 1,000 Bolt and I thought I would share what occurred. I put about a dozen remnants in my cart but was shocked when the shipping charge was over $10.00. I totaled up the yardage and it was 4.5 yards which should fit easily into a Priority flat envelope. They were very quick to reply to my concern. It seems since they only sell fabric by the yard, the shipping charges are calculated on the basis that each purchase is a yard of fabric. I had deleted some items from my cart and it would have helped me to know this bit of information so I would have held on to what I had selected. I received notification that the fabrics have been shipped promptly along with the tracking number.

Also, I wanted everyone to know that within the USA, the Fabric Shack is pricing a flat Rate envelope for the shipping charge of only $3.00. That is half off!! Check their website for International orders. I also recently received an update from Hancock of Paducah:

Flat Rate $5.00: Please allow 10 business days; limit 1 batt per order
Over $100.00 FREE: limit 2 batts per order.
All oversize restrictions apply.

I am delighted to see these offer made!!

justducky65 10-24-2013 05:39 AM

Yes, Thousand of Bolts does have what I consider a high shipping charge. I only order from them when I get a special notice that the shipping is being discounted, which only happens once or twice a year. I only live an hour from where they are located, so paying $11 is way too much when I can order from hundreds if not a thousand miles away and get shipping for less.

Jingle 10-24-2013 06:03 AM

Most shipping charges also have a handling charge included. You are paying for a person to get it ready for shipping. I don't think they try to use the cheapest way to ship things. After all the customer is paying for shipping and handling, not them. I try to spend a certain amount to get free shipping. Not all have that. I don't buy much this way. I try to get stuff at a store.

SherriB 10-24-2013 06:21 AM

I just placed an order with Thousands of Bolts earlier this week for 5 yards of 1930's repros. My shipping was only $5.65 or so. It is coming via flat rate priority today.

dunster 10-24-2013 06:28 AM

You didn't exactly say this, but I think it was implied, that thousandsofbolts.com charges actual shipping, not the price quoted in the shopping cart? I couldn't find anywhere on the web site that says that, but I **hope** it is true.

tessagin 10-24-2013 06:35 AM

Priority Mail is different than shipping. If it fits it ships but you will still pay for the postage since it is still weighed. The package is not suppose to bulge. 4.5 yards would make the envelope bulge and that is cause for the package to burst open upon handling.

PaperPrincess 10-24-2013 07:00 AM

You need to shop around for the best combined price, fabric + shipping. Fabric.com is free shipping on orders of $35, and Connecting Threads is free for $50 and over.

Normabeth 10-25-2013 07:58 AM

I agree, Thousand of Bolts charge way to much for shipping - I calculated the rate to be around 14.5% - they have fabric that I want, well over $100. - but I can't pay their shipping rate - so I do without.

justducky65 10-25-2013 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by SherriB (Post 6365755)
I just placed an order with Thousands of Bolts earlier this week for 5 yards of 1930's repros. My shipping was only $5.65 or so. It is coming via flat rate priority today.

Hmmm, this is intriguing. I may have to look into possibly ordering from them again.

onemoe 10-25-2013 11:38 AM

I was going to order an embroidery Cd on sale $29 and found the shipping from Texas was about the same cost. cancelled my order