Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   String Frenzy by Bonnie Hunter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/string-frenzy-bonnie-hunter-t302199.html)

Onebyone 01-12-2019 05:52 AM

String Frenzy by Bonnie Hunter

QIAD has her newest book String Frenzy for $19.96 and free shipping On Bonnie's site she is selling them for $27.95 plus shipping cost. Good bargain at QIAD.

https://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponli...c1ed9-34951785

Tartan 01-12-2019 06:55 AM

I think Bonnie’s comes with a download of her Hunter’s Star.

AUQuilter 01-12-2019 04:22 PM

Tartan, you are correct about the free download when you buy String Frenzy. I found Bonnie by accident when I returned to quilting almost 9 years ago. Her annual free mystery quilt and free quilts throughout the years are wonderful, especially if you love scraps. I know she (and all authors/designers) makes much more selling through her website than if the item is sold through another company (online or at quilt store). But that is a good price through QIAD.

lindaschipper 01-13-2019 05:42 AM

I saw this on QIAD yesterday but then life got in the way and I forgot about it. Fortunately I was able to use the link you provided and it gave me the sale price this morning. I've just spend two weeks cutting all my scraps into strips 1 1/2" so maybe I can use some of the patterns in her book.....otherwise I'll me making miniatures of her patterns!!

fruitloop 01-13-2019 08:00 AM

This is what I was told by another quilt book author. My understanding from what she told me is the designer and author of the book gets a lump sum by the publisher to write the book and then a % of each book sold. Even if the publisher sold thousands at a lower price to discount buyer, the author still gets her % of the books sold. They don't lose money when their book is sold at discount by the publisher.
They can buy their own books at discount, get the % of those books as profit and sell the books at MSRP and get more profit.

cashs_mom 01-13-2019 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by fruitloop (Post 8191991)
They can buy their own books at discount, get the % of those books as profit and sell the books at MSRP and get more profit.

They could do that, however, it would be rather unethical and could put them in bad standing with their publisher and not able to get subsequent books published by that publisher. Also, although they could do this, they would have to put the time and effort into listing the books, packing them up and sending them off. Depending on how many books you are selling, that could entail considerable effort.

shasta5718 01-13-2019 11:03 AM

Bonnie Hunter said she makes more if you buy from her. I have seen that more than once on her site.

salemrabbits 01-13-2019 02:37 PM

if you buy from Bonnie directly she is using the profits for her new retreat center Quiltville Inn. You also get your copy autographed and a PDF of Hunters Star, which isn't in the book. Although I'd be tempted if I didn't have all the Bonnie books- I'd buy direct from her just to help support her wonderful project.

LavenderBlue 01-13-2019 03:39 PM

Even less on Amazon.....I believe free or less shipping too.

Onebyone 01-14-2019 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom (Post 8192042)
They could do that, however, it would be rather unethical and could put them in bad standing with their publisher and not able to get subsequent books published by that publisher. Also, although they could do this, they would have to put the time and effort into listing the books, packing them up and sending them off. Depending on how many books you are selling, that could entail considerable effort.

Whoever the publisher sells to doesn't matter. The author gets a % of each book sold. The author can purchase their own books to sell for any price they want. This is exactly what Bonnie is doing. The profit is well worth the extra time it takes to keep up with the orders and ship them out or she wouldn't be doing it. Doesn't matter to me it's her book and other people's money. :)