Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Tuesday Morning Store Closings (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/tuesday-morning-store-closings-t311352.html)

Iceblossom 06-12-2020 04:46 AM

Tuesday Morning Store Closings

Tuesday Morning is a chain, sort of like Home Goods or Big Lots, that sells a variety of reduced priced products, from baby clothes to food products to towels to sewing stuff! Like many other retailers, they haven't been doing so well and are on their first round of store closings and pre-bankruptcy type organizations. So far as I know, they don't have on-line sales.

Yes, sewing and quilting stuff. Typically stores have a section of precuts, which vary in quantity and quality (sometimes Moda...) and seem to be more layer cakes than jellyrolls at the location I am going to. Priced maybe $15-20 regular price (about half quilt shop?), so there will be a closeout discount on those.

Cricut supplies and dies. Big selection! From the limited looking/shopping their prices were comparable to Joann mark-down prices. Lots of stuff for paper arts and scrapbooking. Some specialty scissors, Fiskars usually.

My keto hubby has a brand of coffee syrups he likes that they carry. Normal price was $3.99 instead of the $5.99 standard for his non-favorite brand.

Some other things I'll be looking at, might be the time to get some new actually fluffy towels!

Pam S 06-12-2020 04:56 AM

I'm afraid we'll be seeing a lot of stores closing after the shutdown. If they were struggling before, they won't be able to recover. The Tuesday Morning near me usually has more charm packs and jellyrolls. I've found some nice Benartex ones there.

Minnesewta-sam 06-12-2020 05:22 AM

The store nearest me is not closing, at least not yet. I usually find quilty stuff there. Sometimes it's in the clearance area too, which is great. It's hit or miss, but that's why I stop in...to see what's in the sewing section.

Iceblossom 06-12-2020 05:34 AM

This is the first round, Minnesewta-sam. So far as I've been able to find, this is only one of the two in my area that is closing (that is, one is staying open). I live pretty much right between both of them, but the one that is closing is close to my hubby's work.

There was a thread here on the boards, something about finding fabric in unexpected places I think and someone mentioned Tuesday Morning had precuts. It wasn't anywhere I had stopped at before, but I was looking to match a specific set of precuts I had bought from Walmart (not the Springs/Wamsutta, but the packaged hanging smaller packs) and as I was going to 6 local Walmarts, I passed by the Tuesday Morning and figured since I was in the neighborhood, I'll check it out. And to my shock and surprise, there was the same set of precuts! In that case, Walmart was doing that big $1/yard/package sale and it cost me more to get the one package there than the two I had already bought -- but it gave me the two weird strips I really wanted for my project.

Since then, when I'm in the neighborhood I go. And then when I mentioned to the hubby about his coffee syrup brand being there, he's been going every 2-3 weeks for the past year, until the shutdown. He's going to miss it.

OurWorkbench 06-12-2020 05:53 AM

A list of the first round of closings can be found if you scroll down with the states in alphabetical order at
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...rus/5266522002

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Tartan 06-12-2020 06:47 AM

We just don’t know what the new normal is going to look like by next year. We have been blessed to be able to help others and we all have to remain hopeful that good things will come despite the turmoil.

Anniedeb 06-12-2020 07:18 AM

Currently the store by me is not listed. They have never had much in the line of fabric. A few jelly rolls, or pre-cuts, or bundled fat quarters. What they did have was a pretty good notion selection. I've gotten rotary cutters, scissors, wonder clips, (box of 50 for $5.99) bags of buttons and several Ott lights for $19.99. The are mostly the clip on ones, and with the flexible neck, are perfect for clipping on the handles of my machines. Unfortunate sign of the times.

ladyinpurple135 06-12-2020 05:31 PM

I just checked the listings for store closings - the only one here in NC is over in Raleigh about 3 hours east of me. Hope our store here in Mooresville stays open.

Lots of businesses will eventually have to close due to the Covid-19. It’s a real shame for those small businesses - so just try to do your business in your local area if you can. I still haven’t actually eaten inside a restaurant in over 3 months. I’m tired of Drive-thru places
!!!

juliasb 06-13-2020 04:25 AM

I wish I had a store like that close to me it is sad that it has not been able to survive this crisis. We all know there will be many more. How sad. Make out like a bandit while you can.

Iceblossom 06-13-2020 05:34 AM

Well we went and we got coffee syrup and I did get some fabric. Although the signs say Store Closing it's Everything (up to) 30% off. Everything was 10% off on most things, very few things were above 10% off. We went there after hubby's work so mid-afternoon and it was clear that shoppers had been there before us. Shoppers with full carts were there with us.

We did get about 6 bottles of coffee flavorings. We already had like 4 at home. I did get a layer cake of Michael Miller Flower Topia (24 squares) and a blue jellyroll pack (40), they were both 10% off the original prices of 17.99 and 18.99. The layer cake is a fun pack of fabrics, the blues -- well I have lots and lots of blues but they are a set and ready to go. I kept picking up and putting down some batiks. Let the batiks but got a big thing of bubble bath and treats like that instead.

Still a lot of Cricut and paper art supplies.

Let's see -- got a dog toy and some snacks and other things, spent under $100 total. Would have definitely bought some things at 30% off, but they weren't there yet. Lots of tempting things, from some pruning lopers to a small cast iron fry pan that I really wanted to buy but couldn't quite convince for something like $8. Might not still be there if I go back, but we went sooner rather than later. If you are in the market for a new suitcase or towels or sheets, or just have one near by I'd check them out.

Edit: PS, thanks for that link. The link I first saw was set up by store number or something. Looks like all of them in my area will be closing down.