Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Walmart Fabric Depts. closings (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/walmart-fabric-depts-closings-t18029.html)

GailG 03-30-2009 06:07 AM

The associate that worked the fabric dept at our WalMart before the dept. was closed told me that as the super WalMarts were remodeled they would eventually shut down ALL fabric depts. Isn't that narrow-minded of them. And they claim to be community oriented. Well they don't know anything about our community, if they don't know that they were our only source for fabric.

Thank Goodness one quilter went out on a limb and opened a little fabric shop. Her stock is growing daily. Quilters are responding and shopping there. She's brought her LAQ and is doing quilting for customers. Her prices on fabric are very reasonable (It beats having to spend money on gas for the car to go 30 miles for fabric.) She's 6 miles from my house.

As far as I'm concerned, WM can keep their jelly rolls. I'd rather buy yardage from our LQS and help her stay in business. I'm sure in due time the JRs will be in her shop. Sorry for the venting. It's my opinion.

dozenmaw 03-30-2009 07:52 PM

Hello to all, from Alabama. Our Walmart here in our town closed out their fabric department recently. I work at Hobby Lobby about a mile from that same Walmart. We are getting really busy in my fabric department now. I do not think this summer will be as slow as in previous years. Weekends are as busy as at christmas. Yet I still hear folks say that people aren't sewing as much as they used to. Bosh! as my grandmother wold have said. I can say that is incorrect. I have many new "sewers" who have recently gotten their first sewing machine and they are having a great time. I enjoy hearing about all the things they are making. So if any of you out there need another place for your fabric fix, check out HobbyLobby.com and find out if there's a store near you. We have about 450 stores now all over the U.S. Come on in and join us, we have fun there. We even have show and tel sometimes when someone brings what they have made from our fabrics. At least we do at my store. Ya'll come now, ya hear?

Sheila Elaine 03-30-2009 08:05 PM

I like Hobby Lobby, but nearest to me is 30 miles. I pay them a visit when I do to my dentist, bout ev month or so. They have more notions.

GailG 03-31-2009 03:15 AM

Until a LQS opened a few miles away, our nearest source of fabric was 30 miles away. On one end of the city is Hobby Lobby and the other is JoAnn. So depending on the area I will be in is where I shop. I love the Hobby Lobby fabric dept. Even if I'm not shopping for fabric, I will leave the store with a few yards.

I can ask the Hobby Lobby employee, does your store offer quilting lessons or workshops?

gangles 03-31-2009 07:58 AM

I did just buy 4 pieces of fabric from walmart, and I need help from any of you that can come up with an idea for a pattern.
The fabric is brown with line drawings in tan of flowers and butterflies in a large print I dont wont to cut too small.
One is matching tan with large floral print in brown and one matching tan with small print and I got solid brown to match.
I would love a pattern with large pieces to use this fabric to make DH a quilt.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have thought of square in a square with border around using the largest prints alternately in the center square and brown in outer square and strip around with small print and strip between the blocks with the solid brown.
Thanks
Gangles (a terrible childhood nickname)

Sheila Elaine 03-31-2009 11:46 AM

I've heard that using odd numbers makes for ease on the eye in decorating. Play with one solid and two prints to see if that helps. Let us know what you decide. Maybe use one of the solids for the border. Have a great time with your new fab.....

GailG 03-31-2009 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by gangles
I did just buy 4 pieces of fabric from walmart, and I need help from any of you that can come up with an idea for a pattern.
The fabric is brown with line drawings in tan of flowers and butterflies in a large print I dont wont to cut too small.
One is matching tan with large floral print in brown and one matching tan with small print and I got solid brown to match.
I would love a pattern with large pieces to use this fabric to make DH a quilt.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have thought of square in a square with border around using the largest prints alternately in the center square and brown in outer square and strip around with small print and strip between the blocks with the solid brown.
Thanks
Gangles (a terrible childhood nickname)

Your idea sounds great !! I think Gangles is as good as mine -- GiddyGay. Isn't that horrible. Don't know where that came from.

dozenmaw 04-03-2009 08:54 PM

Hello to all from Alabama again. Yes Hobby Lobby offers classes for many different things. Our store offers Cake decorating classes with a Wilton instructor. There are a few painting and other media arts classes. Right now we have a Quilting class going on. In the past we have had jewelry making, tatting, basic sewing and basket making. The classes offered depend on the instructors who set up classes. Anyone can have a class for any duration of time. All you have to do is call the class co-ordinator and give her your class info. They will post your info and a sample for all to see. The fees you charge are up to you and your sole responsibility. Our store has the class list set up at the front door so check yours and see if they have one. Some stores also list their class schedule online at HobbyLobby.com .

Carsey 06-10-2010 04:31 PM

They sent me the same exact letter!!!! I just emailed them again!!!! I gave them this web site and told them to look and see just how many of us want Walmart to keep their fabric departments. If they respond again, I'll let you know..

Originally Posted by gangles
Spooky, you asked to read the letter from Walmart Corp Hqtrs and here it is:

Date: Monday, March 23, 2009 8:02 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Response from Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (Ref #000000022639496)
Size: 5 KB

Thank you for your message.

Dear Ms. Mitchell,

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding the fabric department in your local
store. As with any merchandise decision that we make, we have based our
decision to reduce the stitching and fabric departments on customer demand,
which does not appear to be as high today for a full stitching and fabric
offering in some markets as it may have been at Wal-Mart in the past.

In keeping with our emphasis on being a store of the community, Wal-Mart is
converting the fabrics and crafts department in some stores to a newly expanded
assortment of merchandise that focuses on life's celebrations. We are thrilled
to offer our customers this exciting new crafts and celebrations center that
makes available craft and party planning needs along with information on current
trends and new ideas in the area of life's celebrations, such as holidays,
weddings and birthdays.

In those stores where the new crafts and celebrations center is placed,
merchandise commonly referred to as 'notions' will be included in the product
offerings - such as sewing machines, yarn, needles, thread, etc. As a part of
this conversion, most of our new and remodeled stores that opened earlier this
year, as well as a small number of existing stores, will feature the new crafts
and celebrations center in place of bolt fabrics. Wal-Mart will continue to
carry cut fabric in most of our stores. Due to the continued evaluation of our
stores, we are unable to share a list of existing stores scheduled to receive
the new crafts and celebrations center at this time.

Thank you,
Wal-Mart Customer Relations

For further correspondence regarding this issue, please reply to this email.

swablin 06-10-2010 05:03 PM

hi gangles,
i mailed them off a letter
thanks for the tip because the walmart I go to has a great department with everything you could need, want or wish for lol