Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   This is the way I starch my fabric. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/way-i-starch-my-fabric-t306222.html)

maviskw 08-10-2019 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt (Post 8287355)
I use Sta-flo in the blue bottle like QuiltNana or I use Magic Spray Sizing. Pam Buda taught a group of us about the Sta-flo method when we started her Circa1800 quilt. It was great with all the small pieces and especially the bias pieces. It made the cutting so much easier too. It was a lot of extra work but well worth it. I am going to use it when I make a homespun quilt.

I use Sta-Flo also. One 64 oz. bottle cost me $3.12 and makes 2 1/2 gallons of spray starch. It would take a long time to spray on that much starch. The amount of starch in a spray bottle costs me about $.04.

Jordan 08-10-2019 07:35 AM

That seems like a lot of starch and I am wondering about the ironing board cover too. Is that cover getting destroyed with so much starch?

QuiltnNan 08-10-2019 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jordan (Post 8287493)
That seems like a lot of starch and I am wondering about the ironing board cover too. Is that cover getting destroyed with so much starch?

I lay another piece of [scrap] fabric on the board when i'm using a lot of starch. then that fabric can just go in the wash when it gets bad enough.

Onebyone 08-10-2019 09:15 AM

I use Sta Flo a lot but my hand cramps if I use a hand spray bottle too long so I like the spray can for lots of starching at one time.

Snooze2978 08-10-2019 11:48 AM

I never felt I could get an even layer of starch by spraying so I dunk mine into a dishpan of home-made starch....vodka and StaFlo. Then I run it thru my makeshift wringer I have set up at the double sink and then hang to dry over the sink in case it drips. Then I mist it with a solution of water with white vinegar and press. Then I cut into the yardage.

CDimiceli 08-10-2019 02:59 PM

Best Press is available at Menard's for those of you in the Midwest, for under $5 for a 16.9 oz bottle, scented or non.

peaceandjoy 08-11-2019 05:04 PM

I'm a Best Press convert. I buy refill gallons when it's on sale for 50% off. Usually go in with a friend, buying 2 gallons we also get free shipping. A gallon lasts over a year. It depends on what I'm doing and what I'm using if or how much I use. Pieces 1-1/2" and under definitely benefit from a good spray! Pieces that are over 2" rarely need it.

Rumbols 08-12-2019 07:20 AM

I pre-wash my project fabrics and use either Sta-Flo in spray bottle or canned spray starch depending on the amount of fabric in my projects. Once I have the starch on the fabric, I roll it up and put in a plastic bag for several hours. Then I iron all the pieces. This way the starch soaks into the fabric and makes the fabric really nice for cutting and sewing. I have been doing this for over 40 years while I worked and never had a problem with my fabric. I usually use one weekend for this process and do up to three projects at a time. I would then use another weekend to cut out the fabrics for each project; allowing me to sew only for two months. I found every time I skipped these steps, my project became a disaster.

zozee 08-12-2019 04:01 PM

I like to use starch, but agree with Jordan: that looks like overkill to me as well. One even pass of heavy starch has always been plenty for my liking.

It's interesting to see everyone's personal take on how much is enough.

SusieQOH 08-18-2019 05:19 AM

I like Best Press but made the mistake of buying 2 gallons of the lavender scented. It's a very cheap lavender scent. Ugh! I'm using it up though.