Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Machine Embroidery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/)
-   -   Hand Embroidery question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/hand-embroidery-question-t318982.html)

Chasing Hawk 08-22-2022 08:24 AM

Hand Embroidery question

I am starting some gifts for Christmas. I want to color the design with crayon between the straight stitch outline. Do I color as if working in a coloring book? Or is there a technique you use that works?

I have read a few articles about this, what type of paper do you like to cover the design with before ironing? Can you launder as usual after? Or is it best wash before coloring the design?

RedGarnet222 08-22-2022 09:48 AM

I like the inktense pencils. It is a highly concentrated coloring tool. I am pretty sure walmart carries them still.
Tips & Techniques 244 - How to use Inktense Pencils on fabric - YouTube

Gay 08-22-2022 02:49 PM

I have done this successfully for a cot quilt, but not sure what paper I used to iron over the design, probably just A4. Heating the crayon will set it into the fabric so should be safe to wash later.

suern3 08-23-2022 01:48 PM

I like Meg Hawkey's embroidery designs and use her method for coloring with crayons. Her instructions and color suggestions are included with the patterns. Also, her website, Crabapple Hill Studio.com has detailed coloring instructions, probably on Youtube, too. She now uses the more vibrant colors like Inktense instead of crayons. As far as washing, I haven't made anything that I would need to wash, mainly wall hangings or pillows, so no help on that. I haven't tried the inktense yet. I really like the soft look of the crayon for now. When setting the color with the iron, I have used white paper towels or white printer paper. Main thing is to be able to see if there is any color transfer or if you need to iron more.

Chasing Hawk 08-23-2022 05:00 PM

Thank you for all your replies. The inktense pens are a bit out of my price range. So I will stick with crayons to start with.

MaryKa 08-31-2022 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk (Post 8563924)
I am starting some gifts for Christmas. I want to color the design with crayon between the straight stitch outline. Do I color as if working in a coloring book? Or is there a technique you use that works?

I have read a few articles about this, what type of paper do you like to cover the design with before ironing? Can you launder as usual after? Or is it best wash before coloring the design?

When crayon coloring on fabric first came along I did a few things with Momma. We pressed every thing and waited 3 days and then washed it to see if it would last a few washings. Well some are still colored altho' much lighter than originally. I have since embroidered it as it is Momma's signature and I wanted to keep it forever.

It washed lighter mostly on the more silky fabrics. I suggest you color a scrap, press it and then wash it to see how it works if you want to stay with true crayons in some of your work. Most interesting was the fact that all the colors are much lighter on fabric than on paper. I have never used the inktense pencils but may consider them for my Mounted Stable Office picture as some areas will need light highlighting.

Found them on walmart . com running from 10-100+ dollars.