Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Machine Embroidery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/)
-   -   Help plz:Continuous border hoop versus magnetic hoop? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/help-plz-continuous-border-hoop-versus-magnetic-hoop-t316241.html)

dgm 08-27-2021 02:39 PM

Help plz:Continuous border hoop versus magnetic hoop?

I would like to embroider a border on a 42" square tablecloth. I am new to embroidery last year; I bought a used Brother Dream Machine. Brother makes a 4x7 "border hoop" that has clasps that are reportedly easy to use for doing border designs. On the other hand, it looks like the magnetic hoops might be just as easy (more easy?) and more versatile. If I get a 9.5x14 size could cut down the number of hoops for doing border pieces and allow me to do other big hooping with more ease.

Is there something about the Brother border hoop that makes it more advantageous?

Either choice, the border hoop or the big magnetic hoop, pretty expensive. Any advice on which one I should choose?

Rhonda K 08-27-2021 05:27 PM

I would get the larger hoop. You need some room to position the design if needed. A smaller hoop limits that.

What type of design and stabilizer are you planning to use on the table cloth?

I use sticky back stabilizer to extend my project and get it hooped.

Good luck!

dgm 08-27-2021 06:01 PM

Thanks, Rhonda!

My husband asked what I wanted for my upcoming birthday, and I convinced him a hoop for doing borders would be a treat.

I have not decided for sure about the design or the fabric. It is a casual space, so not sure about my best choices. This may sound crazy, but I have some light weight Sunbrella fabric on hand and planned to do a trial to see if it could be reasonably embroidered. (Given that I see denim embroidered, I am thinking it will work.) If not, most likely will go with something in cotton and cotton thread. If Sunbrella works, most likely would go with a polyester thread.

Do you have a favorite designer for patterns? After getting a new hoop, I had planned to play with some of the patterns located in my machine first to see how well they stitch out and how long they take.

Thanks for any other comments/advice. I am a relative newbie at machine embroidery.

dgm 08-27-2021 06:09 PM

Rhonda, Do you have a particular sticky stabilizer you like?

Barb in Louisiana 08-27-2021 06:41 PM

My Brother has to recognize the hoop in order to let the machine do embroidery. Is this magnetic hoop a Brother Hoop? If not, your machine may not even see it.

dgm 08-28-2021 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana (Post 8504677)
My Brother has to recognize the hoop in order to let the machine do embroidery. Is this magnetic hoop a Brother Hoop? If not, your machine may not even see it.

Barb,

You are correct, only certain hoops will work. I am looking at a particular Monster Snap Hoop, the LM9, made by Dime. Dime has a compatibility chart showing this hoop is compatible with my machine (the Brother Dream Machine).

I am thinking of ordering it from Amazon because of free shipping and the ease of return.

Rhonda K 08-28-2021 05:13 PM

Yes, the magnetic hoops will work. They are brand specific for each machine and size.

DrosieD 09-04-2021 05:30 PM

Doing continuous borders? Either way will work. The magnetic hoop is easier as you just slide it to line up the ending of the last design to continue on with the new one. Dime makes magnetic hoops for most machines.