Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Machine Embroidery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/)
-   -   Janome 550e - what do you know? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/janome-550e-what-do-you-know-t314413.html)

Still Sew N 02-22-2021 06:37 AM

Janome 550e - what do you know?

I've done a fair amount of research and think I'd like to purchase this machine. I'm OK with one needle as I'm just getting into this hobby. From my understanding, it can become "quite the hobby" but I'm not ready to purchase a multi needle machine. Can anyone give me feedback on this machine? The good and the bad?

GregB 02-22-2021 10:30 AM

Janome 550e - what do you know?

I have the Elna expressive 830. It is the same machine, but I found it for $ 500.00 less than the Janome550e. I think it's a great machine. You do need to do the oiling of it at least once a month.I found a web site where I have purchased lots of patterns for this machine. It was easier to load those patterns than I first thought. In fact my sister in law was so impressed with what I have done so far, she went out an bought one too. Overall I have it an easy machine to operate. Hope this has helped you.

j50 02-23-2021 05:18 AM

The one thing I do know about this machine is that it has a compatible monster hoop which in my opinion is the best. Hooping is one of the biggest problems and this solves it. I have been embroidering for over 30 years and I got one for my new machine. Makes the job enjoyable. Here is a link to the chart.
dzgns.com/downloads/hoopcomp-chart.pdf
I bought separate magnates to use instead of the top hoop it came with. Also another game changer.

Even though you may be getting a very fancy machine with all of the bells and whistles this is a game changer. Also do not buy a machine just because it has a large format. What are you really going to embroidering and how frequently. There is a learning curve and other expenses involved. Thread , stabilizer, getting designs or making your own. My largest size is 5x7. Do I wish I had a larger size sometime but generally not.. There is always a workaround.

Have fun!!!

Rhonda K 02-23-2021 07:45 AM

You are so right! It's a fun hobby. Lots of options with single needle machines that will fit your needs. This looks like a nice machine. I loved having a machine with embroidery only features and a second machine for sewing only.. Easy to keep them set up for projects. I started with a set up like this originally but have a combo machine now.

Macybaby 02-23-2021 10:52 AM

I'm finding I really love embroidery, but I use it mostly for making quilt blocks. my fav hoop size is 9.5" x 9.5" and my machine came with two larger and the recent upgrade comes with a large magnetic hoop. I've not tried that one yet. I don't have grandkids so a lot of fun embroidery stuff isn't on my radar.

I have a combo machine but use it mostly for embroidery as my main sewing is piecing and I use a straight stitch machine for that. I love having my embroidery machine stitching away while I'm sewing on another project.

Still Sew N 02-24-2021 06:51 AM

Thank you so much for all input. Really great ideas and suggestions! I was able to see a demo yesterday on this machine and can't quit thinking about it!! It's as though I already know this machine is coming home with me soon! Thanks again.

ZooAnimals 03-15-2021 09:24 PM

Still Sew N This is the machine I would buy to replace my current Janome machine if I was to trade up . Hoop size 8" x 14" is the big factor for me... with this machine and there is no split design to contend with just sews the whole design in one hit ..makes life easy Cheers Zoo

PMahowald 03-18-2021 07:39 AM

I have the 500E and I love it. When I bought it I wasn't sure if I would really use it that much. Its a lot to spend for something to just sit around. The idea was if I really get into embroidery I would go for a multi needle or the more expensive Baby lock with the hugh hoops. Still haven't made up my mind yet about the multineedle but I have no regreats on purchasing the machine.

ZooAnimals 06-17-2021 10:21 PM

StillSewiN Hi have just purchased a new 550E Looking forward to using the large hoop (7.3/4"x14") and not having to split designs anymore, what prompted me to buy is a $1000 increase in the retail price next week in Australia, don't know how this works ..Got some extras plus Janome digitizer which I will sell as I have Hatch 2..I will sell the MC11000 as I have an MC6600P for my regular sewing requirements.Regards.Zoo

turnpaper 02-12-2022 09:45 AM

I recently bought a Janome 550E Embroidery machine, and it does not read appliqué files. Am I missing something, or does this machine not do appliqué? Anyone else having issues?