Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Machine Embroidery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/)
-   -   Machine Embroidery/Quilting Retreat Attendees Advise & Questions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/machine-embroidery-quilting-retreat-attendees-advise-questions-t302342.html)

HiDesertQuilter 01-17-2019 05:09 PM

Machine Embroidery/Quilting Retreat Attendees Advise & Questions

Anyone have advise to help those of us new to all this????
I have found that we who sew, quilt And also do machine embroidery are a little different birds of a feather. My needs have somewhat changed when packing for a retreat. I am taking a whole different selection of supplies. By the time I make several trips from car to my assigned table, carrying, rolling and dragging my retreat supplies my deodorant feels like it failed and I need a nap. Solution time has arrived! Sooo, here is my little bit of Advise: I now have a folding little red wagon (actually not so little) with wide wheels, turns on a dime and even has pockets on the outside. One trip! Work out of it so no more danger of falling from tripping on all my stuff tumbling out from under the table!
Now for my Question: My folding table from BiMart that I used for my featherweight is not sufficient for my larger more expensive much beloved Janome MC9900 sewing/embroidery machine. What portable table do you recommend? Of course vibration is an issue I wish to avoid as much as possible. I have been looking at a Gidget 2. Anyone use theirs when doing machine embroidery? Is there a better choice?

JillC 01-17-2019 09:40 PM

pictures of your wagon? where you got it.
Sorry can't help on the table issue. Every time I have taken classes tables have been provided.
Puyallup Sew Expo is coming up the end of February and it might make for a good source of information.
Their class schedule is on line also.

Macybaby 01-18-2019 07:15 AM

Wow! Do you arealy take enough supplies to do all three (sew, quilt and emborider) at one retreat? That would overwelm me. I quilt on my LA so that isn't going anywhere, and my embroidery machine is quite large so I'm not tempted to take it anywere unless I am taking a class on how to use it specifically.

To your table question, I really liked the folding table I had for my Viking that was bought 30 years ago. It got hauled around and set up and down for many, many years. I tossed it after the veneer was getting so bad that it was snagging fabric (after taping it up for several years when it wasn't so bad). I took off the hardware and had plans of having DH make me another top for it.

I liked that the legs splayed out instead of being vertical, that really helped cut down on vibrations. Even if they still make them, I'd not want to "recomend" as I have no idea if new ones are anything like the old one - but if I was in the market, I'd be looking for that type of leg configuration.

I like using cases on wheels. That way nothing can come out. However it would also be easy to make a couple of cases that fit inside the wagon, so you can load them up and only have one or two "items" to haul in and out. I love making big bags with lots of compartments to put stuff in.

HiDesertQuilter 01-18-2019 07:28 AM

Here is a link to my wagon...I purchased Red.
Timber Ridge Folding Camping Wagon/Cart - Collapsible Sturdy Steel Frame Garden/Beach Wagon/Cart https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CSHYQ9Q..._T-EqCbC73289Q

HiDesertQuilter 01-18-2019 08:02 AM

I live in Oregon and where we go are the long folding tables that vibrate badly so I take a small one to set up for my machine. That way I sit in an L formation. We stay for 4 days...sooo much fun. And yes I do all three things and now I also like to do Ruler quilting on my set down machine. I have a Kenquilt midarm that I purchased in 1995. I have just branched out is all. The splayed legs makes perfect sense to me. Cathy, I see your notation at the bottom about old sewing machines. You and I have much in common! Love them too! I also love using old unusual attachments. I have to say I’m a sewing machineaholic! :thumbup:

Dolphyngyrl 01-27-2019 05:24 PM

I would look at sew ezi, the Gidget does fold up but also isn't the lightest thing. I have one but don't use it for travel

HiDesertQuilter 02-18-2019 10:23 AM

Thank you Dolphyngyrl for suggesting the Sewezi. After much research of different tables, I have made up my mind and ordered the Portable Sewezi Table. I am expecting it to arrive on Thursday and am so excited I actually cleaned my tiny quilt room! I will thoroughly test it out and will let you know the results. Happy sewing everyone!

LisaInOhio 07-06-2019 09:13 AM

Results?

Originally Posted by HiDesertQuilter (Post 8212412)
Thank you Dolphyngyrl for suggesting the Sewezi. After much research of different tables, I have made up my mind and ordered the Portable Sewezi Table. I am expecting it to arrive on Thursday and am so excited I actually cleaned my tiny quilt room! I will thoroughly test it out and will let you know the results. Happy sewing everyone!

I'm curious how you like your SewEzi portable table? I'm considering ordering one and would love to hear your experience. Thanks!

sealh_pat 08-16-2019 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by LisaInOhio (Post 8274053)
I'm curious how you like your SewEzi portable table? I'm considering ordering one and would love to hear your experience. Thanks!

Sorry for interrupting, but in our local club there's a couple of the ladies who have them. Also they told us that these tables are quite lightweight and pretty easy to move around. So now I'm trying to decide if I want to get one, since it's looking pretty attractive to me.

tildiemae 07-25-2020 09:40 PM

To help the vibration issue, I place a ready made shelf board and set my machine and module on that and vibration is not a problem!