Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Machine Embroidery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/)
-   -   Pfaff or Viking (https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/pfaff-viking-t319432.html)

grammy57 10-29-2022 11:08 AM

Pfaff or Viking

I am considering 2 embroidery sewing machines. They are the same price. The Pfaff Creative 4.5 is 5 years old the Viking Topaz 50 is 1 year old. I'm wanting to be able to quilt with whichever machine also. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I know they are all made by Singer but I'm wondering if it's like GM, Chevy a lesser model than Cadilac? Thanks

Rhonda K 10-29-2022 02:05 PM

Hello & Welcome to the boards.

Have you used embroidery machines before? What brand? Will you have dealer support for training and for any issues that may occur with the machine?

I don’t have any experience with these machines but used Brother/BL machines for a few years. These are easy machines to learn and fairly trouble free. I have great support from the LQS in times of troubles. LOL!

If you are interested in embroidery machines, take your time to visit a few dealers with different brands. Good luck!

newbee3 10-30-2022 08:32 AM

I have Topaz 30 and I just think it is great

grammy57 10-30-2022 11:31 AM

Hello,
Yes, I currently have a Singer Futura XL400, I am just wanting "more". The 2 I'm interested in are re-sale near me and I'm not sure which to choose. Nothing is really "near" me so I probably would not go for lessons, etc. I learned the Futura on my own.

grammy57 10-30-2022 11:32 AM

Thank you.

sewingpup 10-30-2022 04:09 PM

I have a viking topaz 40 which I have used for a bit now. I actually haven't embroidered with it yet but the reason I bought it is that my old Viking D1 finally stopped working. I had done a ton of embroidery on the D1 for many years and the shop told me the Topaz 40 was the closest to my old D1 plus it has even more features. I do think the Topaz 50 would be great. It also has a bigger harp space then the topaz 40 so you will be able to do larger embroideries and if you do quilting it will be good for that too.

grammy57 10-31-2022 08:20 AM

thank you.

eparys 11-01-2022 06:55 AM

So - here is my 2 cents worth. Both are more than likely excellent machines imho. I have a Pfaff Creative Sensation (which I think is in the same machine line as the 4.5) and a Creative 2.0 as my back up machine. I love my Sensation and sew on it every day as it is the machine I use to piece on, The Creative 2 is a great machine as well. The Pfaff IDT is what sold me on Pfaffs years ago. IDT is their built in version of a walking foot / even feed. I would not sew without it now and the Sensation is a workhorse. At the beginning of the pandemic I began making quilts and table runners to sell at craft fairs. For three years now I have sewn every day and can not begin to even think of the number of stitches it has done with no issues, The embroidery unit is excellent as well (imho). I can not answer any questions on free motion quilting if that is something that you want to do as I have a longarm for that.

I expect that the Topaz is an excellent machine as well. I used to work for Viking and their machines (at least the mid level and up) were always good quality machines but I have been out of that loop for several years. I just looked at the Topaz features which it appears that it does not have an even feed capability. The question for you to answer is that something that you want?

Bottom line - sew on both. I bought my Sensation used as a private sale. I told that gal I wanted to sew on it and see the embroidery unit work. I brought thin and thick fabric as well as some small pieces of stabilizer to try out some of the built in decorative stitches, I would ask when it was serviced and where.

Last bit of advice from someone who sold Vikings at a dealer - if either machine is being sold by a dealer negotiate !! They may be firm on price but classes, single hole stitch plates, feet, warranty are all negotiable and they might be willing to throw something in to finish the sale.

Good luck with your purchase!

Snooze2978 11-01-2022 07:00 AM

I've had both Babylock/Brother and Viking/Pfaff embroidery machines and they all do well. Your best bet is to try each of the ones you are considering and decide which one seems to fit "YOU". Each machine have nice features, some have features the other one doesn't have. Decide what features you want on your machine and go with that one.