Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Machine Embroidery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/)
-   -   Please advise on what brand bobbin thread you like! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/please-advise-what-brand-bobbin-thread-you-like-t315602.html)

copycat 06-11-2021 01:42 AM

Please advise on what brand bobbin thread you like!

https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images/smilies/shock.png I have the Baby Lock Spirit machine. It came with a spool of bobbin thread. I think its 90 weight.

What have you found to be a good bobbin thread for machine embroidery? Do you like pre-wound bobbins?
Many thanks!

Snooze2978 06-11-2021 05:22 AM

When I got my 1st embroidery machine, a Viking Designer 1 back in 2000 I bought a box of 144 NEB bobbins. Still have maybe less than half of them now. I now have a Viking machine that uses larger bobbins so the NEBs don't fit as well. From time to time I'll rewind the NEB thread onto my Viking bobbins just to use it up. I've also ordered and used BFCreations's bobbin in I think 60wt. She has around 6-8 colors including white and black. I also have all her brand thread too including varigated and metallics as I can use her threads on my quilt machine too when I want a shiny thread. BFCreation's prices are quite decent too. Her threads are polyester, not rayon that I can remember.

Rhonda K 06-11-2021 10:35 AM

That machine is my first love. It is the one that started my journey into machine embroidery. I never knew something like that existed!

I like pre-wound bobbins for embroidery. The brand I've used is by Fil-tec Class 15 for that machine. I buy them in the box of 80 at on line vendors. They are always more expensive at the LQS.

My machine loved Floriani or Exquistie XP threads. I have the thread color charts and mark each color to keep track. There is also an app for Floriani thread so you don't duplicate purchases. The brother/Simplicity pro is a nice brand.

Give a shout if you need any help!

sewingpup 06-12-2021 07:08 AM

I wind my own usually, I use OESD bobbin thread. It comes on a 6000 yd cone and lasts fairly long. I have a cone of white and one of black. If I am doing free standing lace or something that will show both sides, I use the same thread in the bobbin as I do in the top. I tried the prewounds but actually like winding my own better but it has been a while since I have tried any of the newer prewounds and actually I haven't done as much embroidery the last several years. I have heard that bottom line also can be used as a bobbin thread and I do have several colors of that so now that I got two new machines that can do embroidery, I just may give it a try

copycat 06-24-2021 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K (Post 8490257)
That machine is my first love. It is the one that started my journey into machine embroidery. I never knew something like that existed!

I like pre-wound bobbins for embroidery. The brand I've used is by Fil-tec Class 15 for that machine. I buy them in the box of 80 at on line vendors. They are always more expensive at the LQS.

My machine loved Floriani or Exquistie XP threads. I have the thread color charts and mark each color to keep track. There is also an app for Floriani thread so you don't duplicate purchases. The brother/Simplicity pro is a nice brand.

Give a shout if you need any help!

Many thanks for your reply, Rhonda K! ! It is my good fortune that you have worked with the Baby lock Spirit.
I like the idea of a prewound bobbin. Do you have an online vendor that has good customer service?

rjwilder 06-24-2021 03:12 AM

I use the pre-wound class 15 bobbins by Fil-tec, I buy them from Amazon. My local sewing store doesn't carry this brand.

juliasb 06-24-2021 06:22 AM

I buy pre-wound bobbin in a box of 144 bobbins off the internet and have always had great success with them. I go through box after box and I embroider on my machine.