Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Machine Embroidery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/)
-   -   Soft and Stable vs Battilizer or Cut away and batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/soft-stable-vs-battilizer-cut-away-batting-t320388.html)

ElaineCovid 04-02-2023 03:28 PM

Soft and Stable vs Battilizer or Cut away and batting

Hello Everyone - I am going to be taking a class doing machine embroidery to make a bag (link inserted below)... my question - would it be best to use battilizer, soft and stable and stabilizer or batting and stabilizer?

Any and all opinions sought! TYIA

This is the bag I will be making:

Quilted Patchwork Handbag 5x7 6x10 7x12 (swpea.com)

roxie623 04-02-2023 07:31 PM

Battilizer would be best. Made by HoopSisters it withstands heavy embroidery. Floriani also makes an embroidery stabilizer. Love the bag design.

Rhonda K 04-03-2023 05:44 AM

I like soft and stable for SP bag projects. Love their designs and patterns but haven't made this one.

I trim the soft and stable out close to the tack down line so there isn't bulk in the seams. I have used no-show-mesh stabilizer and leave that in the seam line as it is not blulky. If I use cut away stabilizer, it is trimmed out of the seam line.

Just a tip for your class. Look at the PDF for the instructions relating to the bag size you are making. Check through the steps so you understand each one. Enjoy your class!

ElaineCovid 04-04-2023 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K (Post 8595482)
I like soft and stable for SP bag projects. Love their designs and patterns but haven't made this one.

I trim the soft and stable out close to the tack down line so there isn't bulk in the seams. I have used no-show-mesh stabilizer and leave that in the seam line as it is not blulky. If I use cut away stabilizer, it is trimmed out of the seam line.

Just a tip for your class. Look at the PDF for the instructions relating to the bag size you are making. Check through the steps so you understand each one. Enjoy your class!

Hello Rhonda,
Thanks for all your comments. I have a month to decide what I'm going to use. The class instructor uses cut away and quilt batting scraps. I have those as well as soft and stable. The instructor told me she finds soft and stable too stiff a product. She did say battalizer would be ok too.
She recommends trimming bulk out of seam lines as you have suggested.
Previous classes with this instructor have been well planned and taught.
I have been reading the pattern (we had to buy it separately before class as it's a pdf download). As a veteran bag maker, I'm familiar with those steps, it's the machine embroidery part I'm going to have a steeper curve with.
And, yes, I will enjoy it, thanks!

ElaineCovid 04-04-2023 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by roxie623 (Post 8595467)
Battilizer would be best. Made by HoopSisters it withstands heavy embroidery. Floriani also makes an embroidery stabilizer. Love the bag design.

I've never used battilizer, and it does kind of intrigue me.....
Thanks for responding.

Rhonda K 04-05-2023 03:49 AM

It's always interesting to try new products. Please let us know how you like it.