Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Machine Embroidery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/)
-   -   Thread not pushing through after auto trim :( (https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/thread-not-pushing-through-after-auto-trim-t316885.html)

lumpystump 11-20-2021 10:39 PM

Thread not pushing through after auto trim :(

I'm running into an issue where the auto trim works then moves to the next object but the initial thread at the start of the new object doesn't push down and just hangs loose up top. Would anybody be able to help me fix this? I contacted brother support but they couldn't help. I have a brother NQ1600E. The top and bobbin tensions are set correctly where 1/3 bobbin shows on a stitchout of the letter I. I've tried going up and down with the tensions on both the top thread and the bobbin case to see if that would do anything but doesn't. I tried putting a spool net around the spool while it is being used and that makes it to where when the auto trim trims, it leaves a much smaller amount of thread length then the thread just slips out of the needle. If I go lower on the tension with the spool net on there's a tension where I can get it to where it cuts short and slips out about half of the time and then if I go any lower it's back to just having the hanging thread. using 75/11 needle with 40wt thread. video link attached, any help would be appreciated, thank you very much for your time! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oacY...inchillaTurtle

Barb in Louisiana 11-22-2021 08:52 AM

Some thoughts.... Is your top thread possibly hanging up in the tension or the spool itself is hanging up and ending up so tight so that it can only pull the thread out of the needle when the needle goes back down? Does the thread cutter work properly when you are doing regular sewing? Could it be that the embroidery pattern is not stitching out correctly? Have you tried another pattern?

sewingpup 11-22-2021 11:16 AM

Why could not brother support help? Did they say this is something that may require a trip to the tech to fix? I know sometimes they need to adjust some things to make the embroidery go smoothly. Can you turn off the auto trim? On my first machine there was no auto trim so I either had to trim the tail with every new color or trim all the jump stitches as I went or at the end of the stitch out.

lumpystump 11-22-2021 05:48 PM

The issue is that the initial thread isn't going down after being cut by the autocut and is being left hanging loose on the top of the design. The thread slipping out was just from a test I did with a spool net on the spool as it was embroidery which was causing too much tension. Other patterns do the same thing even the ones built into the machine. I figured out that it goes away if I raise the presser foot up higher than the default so it is either something with the presser foot being warped/burred or it is just too far down or the thread is just not getting enough pull at the start to suck it down into the machine. Thank you very much for the suggestions so far! I've been getting a lot of ideas and am trying to zero in on it. Not sure what to do if the presser foot being higher up creates more issues

lumpystump 11-22-2021 05:50 PM

Oh ya, they referred me to authorized dealers. And the autotrim is essential, trying to do this for commercialized designs and there's sooooo many trims to be made :D and that would kill me lol but thankfully it doesn't seem to be the trimmer but something with the thread not being pulled down or the presser foot being too low

Rhonda K 11-23-2021 04:41 AM

I was going to suggest stitching out a different design but it sounds like this happens with all EMB designs. It looks like the tail is being cut too long. Check the preferences page on the screen to see if you have a setting to adjust the cutting.

Is this a new issue with the machine? What bobbin and bobbin thread are you using? Have you tried a pre-wound bobbin?

Have you checked in the bobbin area to see if there is a thread caught somewhere? The machine may need a service at the dealer/

lumpystump 11-23-2021 06:10 AM

I think the tail length is good because it's about the same as what it is when I use the regular trimmer on the machine that is at the end of the guided threaded path on the machine (no tail length adjustment in my machine system as well) but I think this issue has been with my machine since I got it about a month ago, just now understanding it more and noticing it. Using Simthread 25pcs 90WT White Prewound Bobbin Thread Size A Class 15 (SA156). No thread or debris in the bobbin area.

What I'm starting to notice is that the issue doesn't occur when I raise the presser foot so I think that the issue is the thread isn't being pulled down strongly enough at the beginning of a new object when it starts on it.

Again I want to thank everyone for the support so far!

Gay 11-23-2021 09:28 PM

What fabric are you using? to me it looks like batting. If that is the case I would agree the foot needs to be higher, as it seems to hold the thread down while moving. I notice the thread end is not visable at the beginning so reluctant to say it is being cut too short. If that is the case a machine tech can adjust the cut length. Does this happen when you stitch on cotton fabric?
Also, perhaps the thread is being held in the fabric when it moves, making the cut end longer.

Rhonda K 11-24-2021 05:09 AM

Is there a machine setting that puts the presser foot in a "auto up/down" position? It will be in the preferences menu.

Do you have a needle up/needle down button? Try that first before starting the embroidery stitches to see if the thread is taken down into the fabric. You may want to experiment on a sample piece. Try it with presser foot up first-put the needle down and then needle up. Does the thread go down into the fabric?

Then try with the presser foot down. Do a needle down/needle up to see what happens.

Last resort, is to start a few stitches/stop the machine/cut the thread tail close to the stitches/proceed with stitching.

lumpystump 11-24-2021 08:12 AM

Thanks! It's just a piece of cutaway stabilizer hoodie to test this issue on, so very thin. I've tried it on hoodie + stabalizer before too, does same thing. Seems like the presser foot if even barely touching the fabric holds it down and it's not being dragged down into the machine strongly enough.