Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Machine Embroidery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/)
-   -   What are your must-have features in an embroidery machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/what-your-must-have-features-embroidery-machine-t304927.html)

Mitty 05-27-2019 05:34 AM

What are your must-have features in an embroidery machine?

What are those features that you can't live without? I'm trying to learn more about embroidery machines and would appreciate your input.

Barb in Louisiana 05-27-2019 05:53 AM

Get the biggest embroidery area you can afford. I have a 9x12 hoop on my Brother, but it will only stitch a design up to about 7.5 inches by 10.5. Sound big enough, but there are patterns from Hoop sisters that I want to do in an 8 inch that are impossible to do in my hoop.

They all cut the jump stitches these days so that's a no-brainer.

With the Brother I have to use a separate thread stand to accommodate the cone spools of thread. Will that matter to you?

Is it easy to operate and do you have a sewing center that will give you lessons? I thought I could read the manual and figure everything out. Nope! I still don't know half of what this machine will do and it is 15 years old. About time for a new one and it will be one from a local shop that I can take lessons from.

Rhonda K 05-27-2019 06:19 AM

I stitch or machine EMB every day and have slowly gained experience and confidence using my Dream machine. I can finally take a design and position exactly where I want and even re-match the position of a design if needed. I can generally get myself out of a mess though but I'm not afraid to mess up and start over if needed either.

My project today is to finish quilting along borders of a small quilt using the EMB features and in the hoop. The stippling is in the machine and can be spaced out as desired. The machine has a camera which greatly helps with positioning projects in the hoop.

My LQS offers support with lessons on our machines as many times as it takes us to learn the machine features. They also offer a variety of classes including simple one day projects to monthly projects involving several classes. That would be my first recommendation for a beginner. Buy the most machine that you can afford and grow into it.

My first machine was the BL Spirit and I was intimidated for all my own reasons.

Here is one of my favorite vendors. Scroll down to the article on hoop sizes.

https://swpea.me/

patricej 05-27-2019 07:30 AM

that's a difficult question for me to answer.
i indulged myself in a Dream Machine 2 a couple of years ago.
i am now so spoiled that i can't imagine going back.

the features i could never do without again:

built in scanner. i use it to help position the embroidery before i start stitching.
big embroidery area. i can do up to 9.5" x 14". this is very handy when i use the machine to do quilting.

the feature i could easily do without?
the price! :shock: lol

Mitty 05-27-2019 11:50 AM

Thanks for the replies (and more are welcome!)

If I buy a machine it will be from my local shop, but I am on the fence about it ... or maybe whatever comes before being on the fence ... approaching the fence?

Mitty 05-27-2019 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ (Post 8258444)
i am now so spoiled that i can't imagine going back.

This is how I am about my current (computerized) sewing machine. I think I'd rather handsew than sew on a machine that didn't have some of its features.

sumarben 05-28-2019 02:50 AM

I am a relative newbie to machine embroidery - started with a gifted discontinued machine and upgraded to a Brother pe800 - basic machine, 5x7 embroidery area, bought online but I love it and it suits MY needs well. The one feature I cannot do without due to old eyes and less than nimble hands is the automatic threader!!

QuiltMom2 05-28-2019 03:16 AM

If you love to sew/quilt, go for the embroidery machine. It will take you to a whole new level in your craft and don't overlook used machines. That will help a little with the price but machine embroidery isn't an inexpensive hobby. Sure is fun though!!

crafterbarbara 05-28-2019 06:45 AM

I have a PE770 love it. Easy to use and stitches beautiful. I use for my own desires, I don't sell. Love to see smiles from those who receive a gift. Lots of free designs to learn from. Enjoy what ever you purchase.