Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: $2000 to spend which machine?

If you had about $2000-$3000 to spend on a sewing machine that you can quilt on, which machine would you buy? I don't really care much about applique (a little would be nice) my primary wish is for the quilting. Don't think I could find a Bernina in that price range, but what about a Husqvarna? I want the wider throat on any machine I would buy.
    Thanks,

There are Bernina's in that range! I would visit a dealer.

Babylock--Quilter's choice.

I love my Pfaff. Used mainly for quilting, although has the embroidery feature which I haven't used much. I do FWQ with it without any problems. I got it at LQS about 2 years ago. It was a discontinued model that had been used as a floor sample, but was like new. It was a great buy for about 1400, I think.

I would check the Janome dealer, I did, and bought one that was a demonstrator and I love it. Got it at a good price 2 yrs ago

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sandyl
    If you had about $2000-$3000 to spend on a sewing machine that you can quilt on, which machine would you buy? I don't really care much about applique (a little would be nice) my primary wish is for the quilting. Don't think I could find a Bernina in that price range, but what about a Husqvarna? I want the wider throat on any machine I would buy.
    Thanks,
    The Husqvarna Topaz 30 has the 10" throat and is wonderful. There is also a Topaz 20, might be what you are looking for. I love my "Miss Topaz". I also have the Designer Diamond, has the large throat, but a lot more money and mainly embroidery machine.

I love my Janome 6600 but if I had $3000 to spend I would buy the 11000! But then I'm partial to Janomes. I think you can find a Bernina in that price range though.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggiemom
    I love my Janome 6600 but if I had $3000 to spend I would buy the 11000! But then I'm partial to Janomes. I think you can find a Bernina in that price range though.

What she said.

I would try the popular makes and see which I felt most comfortable with. I personally like Viking, but we are all different.

Blog Entries
    My vote is for a Babylock Symphony!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Symphony! Even traded in a Bernina to get it. Then traded in a Bernina serger to get the Enlighten

Pfaff are not made like they used to be. They do not stand behind their machine. Not made in Germany anymore.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilladare
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Symphony!
    I got the Babylock Espire which is now marketed as the Symphonie. Gave up a Pfaff for mine and LOVE LOVE LOVE mine too.

I love, love, love my Babylock Espire.

But, before making a decision involving that much money, I would suggest you test-drive as many of the above machines as possible. We are almost all partial to our own brand /model, so trying out a variety would give you a feel for the capabilities of several.

Good luck and have fun with the search.

I think you can get a Bernina QE for under 3,000. I don't know if that price includes a BSR. Let us know what you end up with

Quote Originally Posted by merrylouw
    I love, love, love my Babylock Espire.

But, before making a decision involving that much money, I would suggest you test-drive as many of the above machines as possible. We are almost all partial to our own brand /model, so trying out a variety would give you a feel for the capabilities of several.

Good luck and have fun with the search.
    definitely.

I have the same machine as SMTP, Babylock--Quilter's choice. It does a great job. Good luck

Hubs bought me a Sears machine many years ago (15 perhaps) and I have not had the first problem with it. It has some of the fancy stitches and alphas, too. But it's not the easiest to quilt on. Don't think I can drop the feed dogs so that is an issue. Hubs has a Harley, pretty sure I want a Bernina. Is that a comparison or what? But would settle for Husq or Baby Lock. ha I really appreciate all the info you've shared, especially about the Janome as I was giving that some thought, too.

Whatever you get, Congratulations! It will be like riding a Harley ;-)

Blog Entries
    I love my Janome Horizon 7700. It has all the bells and whistles of a regular machine - over 200 stitches, but it has a 11" throat which is FANTASTIC for quilting.

pab

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sandyl
    Thanks,
    I own 2 Bernina's.One is 1230 and other older one is 830.Both are old machines and I love both for quilting.Throat plate is 7" pab

I sold my jet ski & bought a husquarna mega quilter & frame. Saves me money on quilting plus I quilt for the public.I have been looking at the Singer on HSN. I need something to Hem on

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Janome 6600P or just about any other machine with the extended harp area. Makes FMQ so much easier!

Check out the Bernina Activa 240 I bought mine 5 years ago for around 1700.00 I love it and have never had any problems with it.In fact I wish I had went ahead and bought the more expensive Artista it has the embroidery unit that you can load quilting designs into .I bought this machine recently but could have saved myself some money if I had bought the machine I really wanted in the first place. I use both machines all the time While embroidery machine is busy I work with other machine. Bernina dealers are having great sales right now you might want to check it out. What ever machine you get make sure it comes with everything you want .My Artista is a quilters edition and came with a free BSR foot for free motion quilting ,still learning but it's a lot of fun have fun shopping.There are some great machines out there .

Quote Originally Posted by suern3
    I love my Pfaff. Used mainly for quilting, although has the embroidery feature which I haven't used much. I do FWQ with it without any problems. I got it at LQS about 2 years ago. It was a discontinued model that had been used as a floor sample, but was like new. It was a great buy for about 1400, I think.
    I, too, love my Pfaff - Quilt Expression 4.0 - around $2,500.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast