Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: $300-$500 machine for FMQ

Is there an all purpose sewing machine in the $300-$500 range that will hold up under FMQ? Like maybe six quilts a year?

I just bought a Pfaff Grand Quilter 12oo off of Ebay for a great deal. Straight stitch only, but it sews like a dream!
    K

I bought my Janome Magnolia for $399 with a bunch of feet included and it FMQs pretty well. All you need is to be able to drop the feed dogs, so you could spend even less.

Have you tried FMQ with your all-purpose machine, with a quilting/darning presser foot? I'm doing okay with mine, and the cost of the foot was all I invested to see if I would like it.

So, of course, I spent the difference on fabric. :P

My new brother was about 350 and is FMQ just fine

All my regular sewing machines will do FMQ. Can you get a darning foot for yours. Give it a try.

:-D

My 10 year old bottom of the line Pfaff (Hobby 1020 - paid $160 in 2000) just died, and I was wondering if I hastened it's demise by FMQing recently. But I didn't have a darning foot.... So I'm in the market and was wondering if I bought a Janome Magnolia or Sewist 500, or the new HD 3000 (leaning toward a mechanical machine since we move a lot and live in countries where service is an issue) would hold up to FMQ. Sounds like the Magnolia does.

Blog Entries
    Check out a Janome 6500. They are dropping in price and will be around I am betting just like the old Singers! It is a workhorse and a half and has a 9 inch harp (throat).

Quote Originally Posted by kkjinde
    My 10 year old bottom of the line Pfaff (Hobby 1020 - paid $160 in 2000) just died, and I was wondering if I hastened it's demise by FMQing recently. But I didn't have a darning foot.... So I'm in the market and was wondering if I bought a Janome Magnolia or Sewist 500, or the new HD 3000 (leaning toward a mechanical machine since we move a lot and live in countries where service is an issue) would hold up to FMQ. Sounds like the Magnolia does.
    I have the Magnolia as well. I have FMQ'd about 10 quilts in one year (all throw size or smaller) and it has done well. I did have to have them adjust the bobbin tension when I had my one-year service. But, it is back to working like a dream.

Super Member Damsel in DisDress's Avatar
    I did all my FMQ on a Kenmore from sears and it worked fine for 300 dollars. Only thing is the throat was a little tight for the fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieR
    Have you tried FMQ with your all-purpose machine, with a quilting/darning presser foot? I'm doing okay with mine, and the cost of the foot was all I invested to see if I would like it.

haha. I like your last comment. :)

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have an old Singer from my great aunt, that works, in storage, that I hope to be getting in the summer. I think it's from the 40's or 50's. Do you think I could FMQ on that without stressing it?

I have a featherweight from singer made in that time period and my machine repair guy told me it wouldn't hold up to FMQ. There's lots of featherweight people on board, maybe they have done FMQ on a Singer that age.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieR

That's what I did, too. I would think that as long as you drop the feed dogs and get a quilting foot you should be good to go. And as Julie R said, the money you save you can buy more fabric :)

Quote Originally Posted by kkjinde
    Oh, I forgot to mention that I have an old Singer from my great aunt, that works, in storage, that I hope to be getting in the summer. I think it's from the 40's or 50's. Do you think I could FMQ on that without stressing it?
    If it's from the 40's or 50's, you're not going to stress it - unless it's a Featherweight.

I will cross my fingers that you have a model 15 - a just-about-perfect FMQ machine. :)

Quote Originally Posted by thepolyparrot

If it's from the 40's or 50's, you're not going to stress it - unless it's a Featherweight.

I will cross my fingers that you have a model 15 - a just-about-perfect FMQ machine. :)
    I completely agree. The 15-91 is a wonderful machine for piecing and FMQ. I have 3 of them - in case the one I am using decides it needs a spa day. Heavy little suckers, though!

If it is a 201 or a Slant -O-Matic like a 401, 403, 404, 500 or 503 it will be great for piecing but not so great for FMQ because the bobbin is horizontal which makes the thread path turn a corner. On the Slants, along with the drop in bobbin, they have a pop-up needle plate instead of drop feed dogs.

Blog Entries
    there are lots and lots of machines that you can quilt on...people quilt beautifully on treadles and featherweights, so yes, you can find a wide assortment of sewing machines in that price range . it takes practice and maybe a few classes to get good regardless of the machine you are using.