Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this $40 Singer a great deal?

Blog Entries
    I found a craigslist posting today for this singer sewing machine. after talking to the seller, the machine passed from her grandmother to her mother to her. neither the mother nor the seller sews so they are selling the machine. they couldn't find the foot pedal that goes with the machine so does not know if it sews or not but it looks to be in great condition.

the seller mentioned that i could probably purchase a foot pedal for it. i am not sure what that would cost or if i could find one. i am more interested in purchasing it since it is a "family" heirloom instead of a random estate purchase.

do you think this is a good price for the machine? are foot pedals hard to come by for this type machine? the seller did mentioned that there was new wiring on on the machine. what are your thoughts, should i purchase it?

i also saw another one like this listed on craigslist for $75.00 which was an estate purchase.

mary

owner selling for $40
    Name:  Attachment-256570.jpe
Views: 33
Size:  6.1 KB

this is the one selling for $75.00
    Name:  Attachment-256575.jpe
Views: 40
Size:  7.3 KB

$75 one
    Name:  Attachment-256576.jpe
Views: 41
Size:  10.1 KB

$75 one
    Name:  Attachment-256577.jpe
Views: 39
Size:  5.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

It looks like a good deal to me! If you can get the model number, check eBay to see what a new foot pedal would cost. The new wiring is a plus, and the case appears to b in excellent condition. If the machine is a 99, I can tell you that I love mine.

Oh I'd buy it so fast their heads would be spinning.

Double post....sorry

Blog Entries
    Snap it up .... it's a beauty and will run like a charm once you have
    wiring, etc. checked. Got one in a cabinet with all accessories many
    years ago for only $45. A Singer made in 1946.

I agree with valleyquiltermo.... "Oh I'd buy it so fast their heads would be spinning."!!!

Also, while I was surfing for the belt for my 'new' singer 66, saw the motor/foot kit at www.sewingpartsonline.com for $45, just fyi

Get it before it's gone!

Blog Entries
    It looks like that particular model uses a knee lever, not a foot pedal. See the little hole in the lower right hand corner of the case? That's where the knee lever is inserted in order to run the machine. There should be a knee lever stored inside the upper part of the case.

For me $40 is a little pricey for this machine (assuming it has the knee lever). I got one very similar (including the knee lever) for $25 at a yard sale. However, this one is in a little better cosmetic condition than mine.

I would not pay $40 if it doesn't have a foot pedal or knee lever. Expect to pay $35 or more for a foot pedal or knee lever.

They both look like nice machines!

Jump,jump,jump on the $40 one! I'd pass on the $75 one, you can do better on that price.
    With that said, I do believe, like most things, that your area of the country determines the price/worth of things. In my area, old singers are very plenitful and if you watch cl for a while you will get a good feel for the price of them in your area.

Blog Entries
    I'd sure buy the $40 one!

The $40 one- snatch it up!! (other is nice also) :)

i'd pass on both at that price.

i got the first one for $30 and it came with the knee lever and the machine and case is perfect - it looks like the machine was never used.

the second machine would sell for $40-45 around here because it has a case.

The one for sale for $40 looks like a model 128. The one for $75 looks like a model 99. The model 99 is more in demand than the 128. Whether $40 is too much, it just depends on how much you want it and what you are willing to pay. If you have to replace a knee lever it will be quite expensive in the end. I have never paid more than $20 for a vintage machine.

I agree that the $40 machine looks more like a 128. If so it takes a shuttle or "bullet" style bobbin and bobbin case. You can find them, but they are not as readily available as those for the 99. You need to be sure that the bobbin case is present, because replacing it can be expensive. You also need to know that the bobbin winder works, because you won't be able to wind those bobbins on another machine. The price is what I would expect to pay around here for a complete 128, maybe even in a treadle cabinet. Buy it if it's worth the money to you, especially if you just want something pretty to look at, and don't intend to sew on it. If you intend to use it for sewing, then do more research and keep in mind that without the controller you will have no way of testing out the machine.

Edited to add - both the 99 and the 128 are very heavy, even though they're 3/4 size machines.

Blog Entries
    The foot pedal is easily purchased from a number of online stores or on eBay. Whenever you can find a vintage machine in decent shape at less than $50, that's a great deal!! Be sure the bobbin case is there...some of them are kind of expensive to replace, but in general they can be purchased for not much depending on the model of the machine.
    And remember that Singer machines are much easier to find parts for than any other vintage machine.

Good luck!!

Blog Entries
    No second thoughts, I would BUY

Blog Entries
    It does look like the 128 I have. Paid $39 for mine; then got one on ebay for $28. Both missing shuttle and bobbin. Took both to my local repairman and we did a swap out. He used what parts he needed on one and then bought the parts machine from me so I basically came out even. One had the knee bar but I didn't want that one so he got a foot pedal for me $15.00.

I found the shuttle/bobbin from someone else. They are a bit pricey so see if the one you're looking at has one.

Good luck!

Jim
    what would it hurt to offer them 23 or 30...but I think I'd pay 40 if they didnt come down

Jim
    sorry double post

Blog Entries
    thanks so much for all of the information on what to look for. i will look at the machine tomorrow.

i do not collect so this machine is being purchased to sew with. so i'm hoping everything is there that i need.

$40 is decent. There is no reverse on this machine. The case looks very nice as does the machine. I am not sure how much foot pedals are but they should be available and not hard to find. Is it a 99? I bet it sews beautifully. Since it has a belt and no foot petal you might consider putting a hand cranck on it. Many people enjoy piecing on hand crancks.

Blog Entries
    i got one @goodwill like that one for $25.00 mine is knee peddle mine is 99-13 dated 1928 & drop in bobbin. the one ur looking @ looks like has hole for knee peddle or bracket what ever u call it in case bottom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Havplenty
    I found a craigslist posting today for this singer sewing machine. after talking to the seller, the machine passed from her grandmother to her mother to her. neither the mother nor the seller sews so they are selling the machine. they couldn't find the foot pedal that goes with the machine so does not know if it sews or not but it looks to be in great condition.

the seller mentioned that i could probably purchase a foot pedal for it. i am not sure what that would cost or if i could find one. i am more interested in purchasing it since it is a "family" heirloom instead of a random estate purchase.

do you think this is a good price for the machine? are foot pedals hard to come by for this type machine? the seller did mentioned that there was new wiring on on the machine. what are your thoughts, should i purchase it?

i also saw another one like this listed on craigslist for $75.00 which was an estate purchase.
    GOOD FIND I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU

mary

Blog Entries
    You might put out an ad on here for what ever parts you are looking for - some of us might just have something.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast