Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The "BEST " book for a newbie >

The "BEST " book for a newbie

The "BEST " book for a newbie

Old 01-02-2011, 12:40 PM

I"m starting serious quilting as I have done some in the past, but now I want to get SERIOUS. I would like to know what books would be the best for a serious "starter". I have a new Juki 5550 industrial machine that I love, but it does not do zigzag, but have a Kenmore (old one) that does zigzag. Any suggestion will be GREATLY APPRECIATED. Diane
Old 01-02-2011, 12:44 PM

I don't have a book suggestion and I'm just starting to get more serious about quilting, too, but I have to say that hanging around on this board is the BEST thing I've done. The perspective you get here is so much different - a lot of those amazing, "unattainable" quilts you see in magazines were made by people right here in this forum! The advice you'll get here is incredible, and it seems there is an expert here for everything.

Welcome, and good luck!
Old 01-02-2011, 12:47 PM

You will get tons of practical information right here, on this board, for free!

As for books, I check them out from the library by the armload! When I come across a book I love that works for me, I shop around and buy it.

There are so many books and not all of them suit me. I would try to look at several from the library or spend an afternoon at Borders! See what suits your style then buy. :)
Old 01-02-2011, 12:54 PM

My very first book I purchased was by Fons and Porter "The Complete Guide to Quilting". Starts at the very basic on up and has info that I always go back to in it. Wonderful resource book.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:58 PM

Hi,
I have the same Juki...do you piece with it...I have only used it for regular sewing like drapery because it is way too fast..I have heard that it is possible to slow these machines down... you don't really need zigzag for piecing and quilting do you?

As far as books go, I like Better HOmes and GArdens Complete Guide toQuiting and The Quilting Bible for basics, good photos and how to...then there are many others for patterns, photos, etc
Old 01-02-2011, 12:59 PM

oatw13............eh......where is your head or face at???
Old 01-02-2011, 01:16 PM

Taking a class is a good way to start. My first quilt was a log cabin and we used the book, Start Quilting with Alex Anderson.

I just bought the Quilting Bible at 1/2 price books, I love it

Originally Posted by tellabella
Hi,
I have the same Juki...do you piece with it...I have only used it for regular sewing like drapery because it is way too fast..I have heard that it is possible to slow these machines down... you don't really need zigzag for piecing and quilting do you?

As far as books go, I like Better HOmes and GArdens Complete Guide toQuiting and The Quilting Bible for basics, good photos and how to...then there are many others for patterns, photos, etc

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
My very first book I purchased was by Fons and Porter "The Complete Guide to Quilting". Starts at the very basic on up and has info that I always go back to in it. Wonderful resource book.
Mine, too! Gosh, that thing is years old but you're right, I still reference it a lot.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:23 PM

I have it too, great reference book.